Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Returning home to winter

Posted by tolstoy on 6/10/2013 at 12:23

Not really a major issue but I'm wondering how people cope with returning to a place like England at the start of February as I will after three months in a hot country? Are their cheap options for picking up winter style clothes before heading home?

#1 tolstoy has been a member since 26/2/2013. Posts: 3

Posted by Captain_Bob on 6/10/2013 at 22:21

Nov/Jan/Feb is considered "cool season" by Thai standards, especially up north. So there will be some warmish clothing available in shops/markets, or just go to Tesco Lotus or Robinsons (department stores). You'll at least want a pully/jumper/sweater to cope with the aircon at the airport and during the flight, before hitting the UK weather on arrival.

#2 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,891

Posted by caseyprich on 6/10/2013 at 23:10

I agree with Captain_Bob. If you plan on going into some highland areas anyway you'll want a pair of jeans and a fleece, so just keep them in the bottom of your rucksack and wear them to the airport on your departure.

#3 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Where has caseyprich been? 

Posted by tolstoy on 7/10/2013 at 04:03

Thanks for that. I hadn't thought about the mountains and I know how chilly they can be. Mentally prepared for the travels, not so sure I'm looking forward to coming home to a grey, wet, cold London and spending the next month in a seriously depressed state wondering why I've returned?!

#4 tolstoy has been a member since 26/2/2013. Posts: 3

Posted by amnicoll on 7/10/2013 at 07:09

I do this every year but for whatever reason I do not feel the cold - even walked home in sandles and T shirt in the snow

#5 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 686

Posted by amnicoll on 7/10/2013 at 07:09

I do this every year but for whatever reason I do not feel the cold - even walked home in sandles and T shirt in the snow

#6 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 686

Posted by tolstoy on 8/10/2013 at 10:20

I guess I could do a 'I'm 'ard as nails, me', but think I'd prefer a modicum of warmth however pathetic.

#7 tolstoy has been a member since 26/2/2013. Posts: 3

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.