Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Ko Lanta or Khao Sok with kids?

Posted by kseybold on 8/10/2013 at 17:54

I am traveling to Thailand with my husband and our two kids ages 7 &9. We are staying in Phuket for about 5 days (Surin Beach), and then have 4-5 more days that we are trying to decide between going to Khao Sok for some jungle adventure, or Ko Lanta for some more beach time and tying in activities like treks, snorkelling, fishing village etc.

Originally we were going to skip Phuket and go straight to Ko Lanta, but have been offered accommodation with friends at a fairly nice place at no cost, so feel we should do that, despite it being more on the over-developed side than we are looking for.

Are there other alternatives to Khao Sok that we should consider that aren’t too far from Phuket? If we were to do another couple of beach days after Khoa Sok, what would be our best bet – Khao Lak or one of the islands?

#1 kseybold has been a member since 8/10/2013. Posts: 3

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 8/10/2013 at 21:19

Lanta and Khao Sok are far apart. If you do Khao Sok then Khao Lak would be better.

Lanta is an ok island with nice enough beaches but it's nothing special.

Surin beach is a pretty good family option away from the trash at Patong. The only problem with Surin is lack of transport options. Mini buses and tours mostly run from Patong, Karon and Kata.

I think Kata has the best beach.

There are lots of snorkelling and kayaking tours avail from Phuket.

#2 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148
 Send LeonardCohen1 a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.