Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Where's best to stay in bangkok for first time solo traveler (hostels where mainly solo backpacke

Posted by Paddy1888 on 10/10/2013 at 04:36

I'm traveling to thiland in November for 7 weeks this is my first time backpacking and I'm going solo would anyone no any good hostels where solo backpackers stay I'm 35 male from Ireland (KSR bit to mad for my first couple of nights)thanks

#1 Paddy1888 has been a member since 5/9/2013. Posts: 21

Posted by JaiYen88 on 10/10/2013 at 18:12

Asok near Sukhumvit is my favourite spot to stay in BKK. It's a perfect location for exploring the city, as it's on the Skytrain (BTS) and Metro (MRT). 'Interesting' nightlife around there (a different kind of mad than KSR). Plus there's Terminal 21 mall which has a super-cheap food hall on the top floor.

Asok Montri is a very decent hostel: http://www.asokmontrihostels.com/ A bit pricier than what you can find on KSR but worth it IMO. KSR isn't connected to any public transport apart from the riverboat, so you need to take taxis to get to places which aren't on the river, which is a pain with all the traffic.

That being said, I don't know too much about staying in other areas such as Silom, Chinatown etc. There are plenty of cool places to check out in Bangkok away from KSR!

#2 JaiYen88 has been a member since 25/4/2012. Posts: 110

Posted by DLuek on 10/10/2013 at 22:26 TF writer

There are lots of good hostels in Bangkok these days. For somewhere to meet other travelers away from KSR, I'd probably look to the Silom area. A lot up Sukhumvit way as well; personally I like the energy of Silom better. Lub d is one of the best / most popular... They have one location near Chong Nonsi BTS off Silom and another near Siam Square, both good central locations. Saphai Pae and HQ also good choices. Mile Map is another good one a bit further down Silom next to a big Hindu temple, near Charoen Krung Road which is a cool area to walk around. I checked out Asok Montri -- not a bad little place and certainly a lively area. But I'd suggest Lub d, though you'll probably want to book ahead as they're both often full.

#3 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,176
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by Paddy1888 on 12/10/2013 at 08:51

Thanks for the info guys it really helped. Silom area has some nice hostels I think I'll stay around there for my first couple of nights. thanks again everyone.

#4 Paddy1888 has been a member since 5/9/2013. Posts: 21

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.