Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Booking train to Chiang Mai online

Posted by erinj on 3/8/2007 at 08:48

Hello,
I have been told it is necessary to book the train to Chiang Mai in advance as I'm travelling in December.

How do I do this? Can I do it online?
I have found one website, however it charges ~300USD, when according to http://www.railway.co.th/English/Time_PDF.asp
it should only cost about 70 Aussie dollars.

Any ideas?

#1 erinj has been a member since 3/8/2007. Posts: 12

Posted by somtam2000 on 3/8/2007 at 09:27 admin

Travel agents will typically add on a surcharge to handle the booking -- but it's normally 100-200B. Travel Connecxion have had good reports in the past.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,575
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by swag on 3/8/2007 at 10:24

Hi erinj, I have had good service with www.thaifocus.com/travel/train travelling throughtout thailand.2nd class a/c sleeper is about 50USD one way. Lower bunk is best.Any questions ask away

#3 swag has been a member since 28/3/2007. Location: Australia. Posts: 331

Posted by EmjayReet on 3/8/2007 at 12:40

Here is the email address to book your tickets and an example of what to write: This goes direct to the State Railway of Thailand www.railway.co.th

Email Address: passenger-ser@railway.co.th

Email :

Please can you reserve for me:

Journey: Bangkok to Chiang Mai
Date: XXX
Train number: 13 (or whichever train)
Departure time: 19:35 (or whatever time)
Class of travel: 2nd class sleeper (aircon)
Preferences: One lower bunk and the upper bunk directly above it (YOU PUT ANY PREFERENCES LIKE THAT HERE)
Number of passengers & names: 2 passengers Miss XX XX & Mr XX XX
Regards
XXX

You can only book up to 30 days in advance and you pay on arrival.. must pick up the tickets prior to a certain time... We recieved a confirmation email as below:

Dear Sir/Madam
Reference to your e-mail on 9th October. I'd like to confirm your reservation 2 person 2nd class A/C sleeper 1 lower 1 upper from Bangkok to Chiang Mai by the Special Express Train No.13 on 5th December,2006 leaving Bangkok at 07.35 pm. and arrived Chiang Mai at 09.20 am. on 6th December, 2006. The ticket price for 2 person is Baht 1,612.00

Please purchase your tickets including booking fee 200 baht at the total amount of 1,812.00 Baht by presenting this email confirmation and your passport to our Chief Clerk, Advance Booking Office,Bangkok Station(Hualamphong) during 08.30 am-4.00 pm everyday,as for on the date of your departure not later than 4.00 pm. on 5th December,2006; otherwise, this reservation will be cancelled automatically.
Please acknowledge us e-mail confirm.

Thank you for your interesting on our rail service.
Your Sincerely,
Passenger Traffic Section

*When you get to the station there is a massive sign in one corner saying "advance bookings"... very easy.. there is also a place you can store luggage for a few hours if needed, a great little massage place, a supermarket for train snacks and a couple of restaurants incl KFC!

Enjoy!

Reet xx

#4 EmjayReet has been a member since 4/7/2006. Location: Australia. Posts: 156
 Website 

Posted by Mad on 7/8/2007 at 22:45

hello, all you seasoned travelers,

is it the same if you travel in august?
i'll be in BKK next week and would like to go to CM, but i still have to decide which day to leave and if using the train or the bus... i would love to get there and have a sense of the place before deciding how to travel etc... I don't have much time in my vacation and 1 day makes a difference, if I'd rather spend it in BKK or CM...
anybody has suggestions?

thanks!!

happy traveling!

#5 Mad has been a member since 1/8/2007. Posts: 6

Posted by Mad on 7/8/2007 at 22:45

hello, all you seasoned travelers,

is it the same if you travel in august?
i'll be in BKK next week and would like to go to CM, but i still have to decide which day to leave and if using the train or the bus... i would love to get there and have a sense of the place before deciding how to travel etc... I don't have much time in my vacation and 1 day makes a difference, if I'd rather spend it in BKK or CM...
anybody has suggestions?

thanks!!

happy traveling!

#6 Mad has been a member since 1/8/2007. Posts: 6

Posted by Jon_Mak_Mak on 12/8/2007 at 23:31

I have found one website, however it charges ~300USD

Errr....?

That is a rip off! You dont NEED to book in advance ( my friends did 1 time at it was expensive!) I always get a ticket a few days in advance from the train station but $300??? No way!

#7 Jon_Mak_Mak has been a member since 21/2/2007. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 464
 Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.