Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Koh Samet update?

Posted by Hbuttemer on 13/10/2013 at 12:12

Anyone been to Koh Samet lately? We are an older couple about to begin a six month backpack exploration of SEA. We have scheduled rabies vaccinations at the Thai Travel Clinic in Bangkok beginning on November 1. Our plans at this point are to spend four days in Bangkok and then escape to a nearby beach for a few days before returning to Bangkok for the second rabies shot on November 8. Is Koh Samet a reasonable option at this point? It's hard to find an update on conditions there since the oil spill in late July. Or does anyone have a suggestion for another nearby destination for 2-4 days? We're into going slow and avoiding the party scene.

#1 Hbuttemer has been a member since 10/10/2013. Posts: 5

Posted by anderslewis on 13/10/2013 at 16:06

I had to change my plans from Koh Samet due to the oil. Not heard any update since the spill mind you.

Im now going to Koh Chang. 6 hours in a bus cant wait for that!

#2 anderslewis has been a member since 28/8/2013. Posts: 5
 Send anderslewis a private message   Website   Twitter   Instagram 

Posted by DLuek on 13/10/2013 at 22:24 TF writer

I just returned from Samet last week -- a full update on Travelfish's Ko Samet content is on the way.

The oil spill is pretty much cleaned up. It really only had a serious effect on the west coastal beach, Ao Phrao , and when I was there you wouldn't have even known there had been a spill if not for a very faint scent of oil in the air. The three resorts on Ao Phrao expect to reopen in November.

But Ao Phrao is just one of many beaches on Samet, and oil spill or not, it's not the nicest one. Most beaches are on the east coast; even in the immediate aftermath, effects of the spill were minimal to nonexistent there. So I reckon Samet would be a fine option given your situation.

Unless you're looking to party, I'd recommend staying at one of the beaches south of Haad Sai Kaew and Ao Phai. Tubtim Resort on Ao Tubtim is great, Ao Nuan Bungalow on Ao Nuan is very peaceful if you seek seclusion, and either Vong Deurn Villa or Vong Deuan Resort are very good midrange choices on Ao Wong Duen, which is a lovely beach but with plenty of restaurants and other conveniences. If you want serious seclusion, Nimmanoradee Resort on Ao Pakarang at the far southern tip of the island's long tail is also a good choice.

#3 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,185
 Send DLuek a private message   Website   Twitter 

Posted by Hbuttemer on 14/10/2013 at 00:19

Thanks for the replies. I think we will go ahead with our plans to visit Koh Samet for a few days in early November. It's good to get information from folks on the ground. Travelfish is a great resource!

#4 Hbuttemer has been a member since 10/10/2013. Posts: 5

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 14/10/2013 at 04:38

Why would u need rabies vaccines?

#5 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148
 Send LeonardCohen1 a private message 

Posted by Hbuttemer on 14/10/2013 at 09:28

Rabies in dogs is still a major problem in SEA. CDC recommends pre-exposure rabies vaccinations for people traveling for extended periods of time, especially if they plan to visit remote areas where treatment may be hard to get. That's us.

#6 Hbuttemer has been a member since 10/10/2013. Posts: 5

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 14/10/2013 at 21:43

Chance of getting rabies is about 0.0001%

Dengue fever, typhoid and Hep A are bigger concerns

Who is the CDC?

Some American based group?

#7 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148
 Send LeonardCohen1 a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.