Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Climbing Doi Chiang Dao without a tour?

Posted by Agriff on 22/10/2013 at 11:34

Hey all! My partner and I are looking to climb Doi Chiang Dao at the end of next month. We've heard reports of people doing day hikes illegally without a guide but we're not interested in that. We simply want to cut back on the costs of booking a full-fledged tour through the CD nest or Malee's.

Does anyone know the right number to call to alert the mountain services that we'll be climbing? We tried one number but the person didn't speak any English.

Also, does anyone know where we could rent tents and sleeping bags? I'd be willing to- but rather not- make a trip to and fro Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai to return the equipment.

If this is way too much hassle for what it's worth then I'll probably just end up booking a tour, but I really would like to do everything on my own as we're on a tight budget.

Thanks in advance!

#1 Agriff has been a member since 25/9/2013. Posts: 5

Posted by somtam2000 on 23/10/2013 at 19:45 admin

Not sure on this one. A quick google brought me this report which suggests you can get around needing a guide -- I'd guess ask around in the cafes in Chiang Dao to see if you can rustle up a freelancer. Other way is to contact CDN or Malee's in advance and let them know when you want to do it -- they may be able to get other people to sign up for the same trip.

As for equipment -- obviously the joints you already mentioned will have gear, so would make sense to try them first -- I didn't see any gear shops when I was last in CD a year or so ago.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,576
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by Captain_Bob on 24/10/2013 at 01:34

I did the climb with an overnight at the summit a couple years ago. Did it with Malees and would recommend you do same. They provide tents and sleeping bags and porters at slight extra cost, and of course arrange the permit. You can do it solo but in my view the savings isn't worth it and you'll probably end up having to buy tent and sleeping bags (saw dome tents at Tesco yesterday for 299 baht) and you'll have to arrange transport to the trailhead early morning and it's pretty far from the nearest accommodation. Malee's just makes the whole thing work, and the Swiss owner Kurt is a champion walking machine and naturalist. They also have bungalows from around 400 baht for the first night which is less than half the price of CDN across the fence.

#3 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,903

Posted by boleslav on 28/10/2013 at 19:48

we did climb the mountain in one day without any guide. Malee was able to organize a transport for us and it worked out great as we are not into much of organize things.
somtam gave you great link to the SP post. My suggestion is to send an email to Malee and ask them to advice you.
it was well worth it as the views were just stunning, but some peolpe like to sleep there and get a sunrise view

#4 boleslav has been a member since 30/8/2009. Posts: 86

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.