Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

ferry and taxi phuket

Posted by bootscooting on 11/11/2013 at 06:39

would like to know if i need to make reservations in advance for ferry from phuket to koh lanta or can i just get a ticket at the dock the day of sailing. also would like to know what a taxi ride from phuket airport to phuket town late at night should cost. thank you

#1 bootscooting has been a member since 11/11/2013. Posts: 1

Posted by lucymunday on 11/11/2013 at 09:04

It's easy enough to get ferry tickets from most tour guide places and will guarantee you a spot on the ferry. I don't know if you can get them in advance myself but it's probably worth just organising it a day or two before you want to go and avoid any hold ups at the terminal.

#2 lucymunday has been a member since 11/11/2013. Posts: 1

Posted by captainbkk on 13/11/2013 at 01:07

BUY at any local agent-the transp to ferry is then included and its the same price.
You canNOT even prebook-its not online. You newbees really have to learn (maybe ask granddad?) how this world once even went pretty OK without a www.

#3 captainbkk has been a member since 16/2/2012. Posts: 472

Posted by blyths24 on 22/11/2013 at 09:31

I booked my ferry online

#4 blyths24 has been a member since 20/11/2013. Posts: 10

Posted by tezza on 22/11/2013 at 21:14

The Phuket taxi cartel charge an outrageous 550baht to Phuket town (other prices on this link too) http://phuketwan.com/tourism/phuket-taxi-fares-crackdown-offers-stick-less-carrot-17656/
That is probably twice as much as the same distance in Bangkok. I'd wave 400 at the Limo counter just before the exit doors at Arrivals - I have found in the past that they often come to the party well under their list (which is usually a bit higher than the taxis) if you show them the money.
Unfortunately in low season the travellers' minibuses (150b) from the airport often don't run down to Phuket town and may not be running to the more popular beaches real late at night. The Airport Bus (80baht) to Phuket town's old bus station doesn't run after about 2000.

My experience is that ferry tickets at the pier are more expensive than those bought at much accommodation and travel desks in town and at the beaches (which almost always have free transfers to the pier too). One place in Phuket town has a good travel desk and prices in Phuket Backpackers'. This squeaky clean joint has dorms plus double/single fan and aircon rooms.

#5 tezza has been a member since 13/4/2006. Posts: 1,345
 Website 

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 30/4/2014 at 19:24

Stay at kata beach for 1 night. Phuket town is lame. Most guesthouses will sell ferry tickets and thailand has travel agents all.over the place in tourist zones.

Just catch a mini bus to kata. Much cheaper than taxi.

#6 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148
 Send LeonardCohen1 a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.