Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Thailand & Siam Reap - 2 weeks, in 2 weeks! Normal trip plan help + Fine Dining?

Posted by Ahleckz on 11/11/2013 at 16:05

Hello Travelfish!

I know there are heaps of these threads, but I thought I'd just add my own.

I'm going to Bangkok on the 24th November, and planning on touring Thailand as well as going to Siam Reap to see my brother. I have no idea where I should go or what I should see! I'm into architecture, modern & traditional, fascinated with brewing & distillation, and would be keen to have a bit of a party (the Full Moon stuff horrifies me though). I'm not into lying around on a beach all day but a splash in the water would be good now and then.

Also, add to the mix. I'm really interested in great restaurants (and I'm a self confessed Michelin Star snob). Now, I know the street food scene is what it's all about and believe me that'll be something I'll be indulging in. However, I'm keen to get a great sit down meal as well. I'm thinking about booking Nahm on the 28th (my birthday) but welcome any suggestions.

So yea, just really looking for tips of where to go. Most threads seem to be about beaches/surfing/temples. And I must admit, I'm not that fussed about any of them! I'm much more into markets, food and slightly 'different' things. Any help would be great.

I fly into Bangkok on the 25th, and then out again on the 10th.

#1 Ahleckz has been a member since 11/11/2013. Posts: 4

Posted by somtam2000 on 12/11/2013 at 02:02 admin

Yes Nahm is excellent - very expensive, but superb. In Siem Reap I'd pencil in Wat Damnak Cuisine. Other possibles in Bangkok could be Mahanakorn Kitchen on Thonglo a little pricey but still very good.

Also see Austin Bush's food blog
http://www.austinbushphotography.com/blog
He concentrates largely on street level eating but he has some real gems in there that are worth seeking out.

Architecture - ahhhh depends where you're going. This post is a little off topic but highlights the struggle Bangkok is having balancing preservation & development.
https://www.travelfish.org/sight_profile/thailand/bangkok_and_surrounds/bangkok/bangkok/1923

More questions - ask away!

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,576
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 13/11/2013 at 08:29

"I'm much more into markets, food and slightly 'different' things"

Go to Raintree Pub on Rangnam rd and order Phad Phed Gop - bbq frog. They do it very well there. Also live Thai folk music.

Another great restaurant is Sabai Jai at Ekamai soi 1.

http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Restaurant_Review-g293916-d3355144-Reviews-Sabai_Jai_Kai_Yang-Bangkok.html

Ask for red ant eggs - mot daeng. This place has a big beer garden and good atmosphere. Top food too.

#4 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.