Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Slow boat trip Mekong river

Posted by Paddy1888 on 22/11/2013 at 20:14

I'm looking for information on the two day one night slow boat down the Mekong river to Luang Prabang looking to hear some other peoples experiences I will be Chiang khong sometime in the next 4 to 5 days. Thank you.

#1 Paddy1888 has been a member since 5/9/2013. Posts: 21
 Send Paddy1888 a private message 

Posted by Geer1 on 22/11/2013 at 20:30

It is a decent experience but very similar to sitting on a bus. Try to get a seat near the front of the boat as the back end can be very loud on somoe boats. Don't worry about old reports saying to buy a cushion, all the boats have old seats of vehicles now and are fairly comfortable. Don't fall for the scare tactic saying there are few guesthouse rooms in Pakbeng, there are tons and can be had a lot cheaper then what they try to sell them to you.

I personally enjoyed the boat ride from Nong Khiaw to Muang Ngoi more then the trip down the Mekong, I thought it was more scenic, more authentic and less of a bus on water. You can take boat from Nong Khiaw to Luang Prabang as well which I think would be a nice trip. If you don't have time or the plans for that then the slow boat is a good experience because you can see how some of the locals live off the river etc.

#2 Geer1 has been a member since 14/9/2012. Posts: 540
 Send Geer1 a private message   Where has Geer1 been? 

Posted by Paddy1888 on 22/11/2013 at 21:12

Thanks geer I have no plans just taking my trip day by day trying to find the best experiences.

#3 Paddy1888 has been a member since 5/9/2013. Posts: 21
 Send Paddy1888 a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.