Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Satun (Tammalang pier) ferry to Ko Lipe

Posted by globoglobo on 4/12/2013 at 16:20

Anyone knows if the Satun (Tammalang pier) ferry to Ko Lipe mentioned in Lipe's transport page (https://www.travelfish.org/transport/thailand/southern_thailand/satun/ko_lipe/all) is still going for this high season?
Still at 12.30 everyday?

Thanks!

#1 globoglobo has been a member since 23/11/2013. Posts: 8

Posted by DLuek on 4/12/2013 at 21:03 TF writer

Hi, I just called a local acquaintance down there to get to the bottom of this, and they informed that indeed boats no longer run from Satun 's Tammalang pier to Ko Lipe. It's now only by speedboat via Pakbara, departing at 11:30 and 15:00 (though additional boats sometimes run if there's enough demand), or via Langkawi, or island hopping routes (Ko Lanta, Ko Muk, Ko Bulon Lae, etc.). We'll make the change in the Satun transport section presently, and we have a full Satun / Lipe update on the way in early 2014. Thanks for bringing this up.

#2 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,176
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by globoglobo on 5/12/2013 at 00:01

Thanks for clearing this!
It was beginning to look like a mystery to me...

How early the update will be posted? I guess too early for us, we are flying jan 9... ;)

Just a couple more questions, because last time I was there was 2008: would you suggest booking the ferry in advance? Is travelling through hat yai safe currently?

Thanks!!

#3 globoglobo has been a member since 23/11/2013. Posts: 8

Posted by DLuek on 5/12/2013 at 03:55 TF writer

Hi,

Not sure exactly when the Lipe / Satun update will be up -- trip is planned for Jan./Feb., so hopefully by the end of Feb.

You could book the Pakbara > Lipe ticket from an agent in advance, but there's no need to. You'll be able to buy a ticket when you get there.

The last report of violence in Hat Yai that I'm aware of was a hotel bombing back in late 2011 I think it was... I personally wouldn't hesitate to travel through there (and have before), but only you can decide if it's safe or not.

Have fun,

DL

#4 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,176
 Website   Twitter 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.