Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Domestic Flights - whats the deal?

Posted by katie304 on 17/8/2007 at 21:43

Hi, I will be going to Thailand for 2 weeks and would like to visit both Chiang Mai and Krabi (and surrounds). I plan on taking domestic flights between the two and also back to Bangkok. Should I book them now before I leave or while in Thailand? Since I will only be there for 2 weeks, I don't want to worry about availability but also don't want to pay too much. Anyone have recommendations/suggestions? Also tips on the best airline will be helpful!
Thanks, Katie

#1 katie304 has been a member since 14/8/2007. Posts: 5

Posted by exacto on 17/8/2007 at 22:22

Hi Katie,

When will you be travelling?

Since your time in country will be so short, I'd recommend booking your flights ahead of time if at all possible. That will hopefully guarantee that you get the flights/dates you want as well as save you time while on holiday. Plus, with many of the discount airlines like Nok Air or Air Asia, the price is significantly less expensive when you book ahead of time. Some people have mentioned difficulty using a credit card from overseas, but I think those problems have been corrected.

Whichever airline you choose (discount carriers Nok Air and Air Asia come recommended as does full-fare giant Thai Airways), be sure to read the fine print on things like baggage allowance, since Air Asia is pretty stingy (as low as 10 KG if memory serves).

I hope that helps. Have a great trip. Cheers.

#2 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,659
 Where has exacto been? 

Posted by smartcookie on 18/8/2007 at 08:17

The above poster recommended good low-cost carriers. You can also look into the Bangkok Airways Discovery Pass. You can find info on their site. You can save money if you are flying at least 3 legs. Domestic legs are $55 plus $15-20 in taxes. Thai Airways also has a pass for domestic flights, for $169 for 3 legs plus taxes. You have to buy both outside the US. I believe for some, you can change flight times if seats are available, but not routes after you've purchased. I wouldn't wait until last minute. I'm going in November and already booked mine.

Bangkok Airways flies to Phuket, but not Krabi I believe. However, they're the only ones who fly to Ko Samui from Bangkok too.

Good luck.

#3 smartcookie has been a member since 11/8/2007. Posts: 15

Posted by exacto on 20/8/2007 at 21:46

great suggestion from smartcookie on the Discovery Air Pass, particularly if Lao Airways is still participating in the program. as cookie says, the pass can only be purchased before arrival in Thailand, so anyone planning to use this option will need to plan ahead.

i didn't suggest the airpass for katie because she only mentioned two destinations, not the minimum of three required by the airpass. plus, if memory serves, the airpass does not allow duplicating any routes - effectively eliminating a round trip option. while the airpass can save a nice chunk of change for routes like BKK to Samui or flights to Luang Prabang, prices being offered by discount airlines in Thailand and around the region are often a much better deal than the airpass, so be sure to shop around and compare prices before making a final decision. regards.

#4 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,659
 Where has exacto been? 

Posted by planetclare on 20/8/2007 at 22:49

I have a question about booking online through Air Asia...when it asks for "issuing country" for ticketing purposes, should you put your home country or Thailand?

Thanks!
Clare

#5 planetclare has been a member since 13/11/2006. Posts: 15

Posted by smartcookie on 21/8/2007 at 00:36

"issuing country" refers to your passport # or other ID card # you are entering in the same spot.

in terms of the Discovery Pass, you can do roundtrips without problems. you just can't pass through the same city (i.e. going through it, not ending your flight there) more than once.

#6 smartcookie has been a member since 11/8/2007. Posts: 15

Posted by katie304 on 21/8/2007 at 02:36

Thanks exacto and smartcookie for your posts! I chose to go thru Nok Air because they are having a 990 baht special. The total price for all my domestic flights turned out to be $120.00 and will be a big time saver. This special is valid until October 27 and requires 21 days advanced booking.

A potential problem: the flight i booked from Krabi to Bangkok lands 3.5 hours before my departure to the US? Are they often late? I am wondering my odds of missing my flight home... Should I be worried?
Thanks, Katie

#7 katie304 has been a member since 14/8/2007. Posts: 5

Posted by Jon_Mak_Mak on 21/8/2007 at 06:00

I can also recommend Air Asia for the price. I have booked only a few days in advance before with no problem.

#8 Jon_Mak_Mak has been a member since 21/2/2007. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 464
 Website 

Posted by reh on 21/8/2007 at 16:38

I flew Air Asia as they were the cheapest from Bangkok to Chiang Mai, pretty good airline except I got stung with B600 when my friend and I were over the 15kg baggage limit. Who allows just 15kg? Anyway it hurt but im over it now ...... I promise!

#9 reh has been a member since 12/7/2007. Posts: 1

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.