Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Thailand Coffee Farm

Posted by stever1000 on 24/12/2013 at 18:03

Has anyone been on a coffee farm tour? I have some free time in Northern Thailand and would like to learn more about coffee.

Thanks

#1 stever1000 has been a member since 7/1/2013. Posts: 28
 Send stever1000 a private message 

Posted by wanderingcat on 24/12/2013 at 18:42

Not sure when they'll next be organising a 'coffee journey' to their farm:
https://www.facebook.com/akhaama
http://www.akhaama.com/events/557/
But to learn more about coffee, you can just talk to Lee at either of his 2 cafes in Chiangmai (most of the time he will be at this one: http://www.akhaama.com/about-cafe/directions/)

#2 wanderingcat has been a member since 21/10/2006. Posts: 730
 Send wanderingcat a private message   Where has wanderingcat been?   Website 

Posted by stever1000 on 9/1/2014 at 18:14

Thanks, I saw that website and contacted them again regarding the next date.

Are most coffee farms private (don't allow tourists to visit) or could I arrange with any company to have a look?

#3 stever1000 has been a member since 7/1/2013. Posts: 28

Posted by DLuek on 9/1/2014 at 22:52 TF writer

This is something that I've also been wanting to do for some time but haven't gotten around to yet. I'm pretty sure that most coffee and tea farms are happy to have visitors. My guess - so, yeah, not certain at all here - is that you can just show up in Chiang Rai and either visit farms yourself by motorbike, or ask around at the cafes until you find a guide to take you. If you'll be in Bangkok first, stop by Gallery Drip in the Bangkok Art & Culture Center; the owners have traveled the northern Thai coffee farms extensively and they're happy to share their experiences when they're not too busy. One of them also put together a great book of photographs that documents coffee production in northern Thailand.

If you end up doing it, any reports would be much appreciated.

#4 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,185
 Send DLuek a private message   Website   Twitter 

Posted by wanderingcat on 10/1/2014 at 15:15

not sure how 'private' they can be...those coffee farms i know of in north Thailand are not large scale fenced up plantations run by companies, but small holdings by individual farmers/villagers. there are farms in places like Doi Chang, Doi Wawee & Doi Laan in Chiangrai province (area south of the Mae Kok river, west of the Chiangrai-Chiangmai highway & east of Phrao), & Mae La Noi in Mae Hong Son province (where Starbucks used to source from, but heard that they no longer do). but access to such places can be tricky e.g. the last 30+ KM to Akha Ama's farm (the owner's village) is steep mountainous dirt road that can be impassable in the rainy season (villagers do die in accidents coming down that road). if you have a motorbike & can handle it on such dirt roads (or a 4WD) then it's easier to visit them by yourself.

a write-up on the Coffee Journey: http://blog.ohheyworld.com/a-little-story-a-journey-to-find-what-sustainable-coffee-really-means/

many tea plantations in Mae Salong that are all set up to welcome visitors, but think coffee is your focus?

#5 wanderingcat has been a member since 21/10/2006. Posts: 730
 Send wanderingcat a private message   Where has wanderingcat been?   Website 

Posted by stever1000 on 19/1/2014 at 02:14

I fly into chiang mai, but I will still check out Gallery Drip for further reference.
Seems like I will just go around and see what I can arrange when I arrive. I contacted them about the coffee journey but it doesn't line up for my dates while I am there.
I love tea plantations, but I really want to see coffee plants.

Thanks for the help and information :)

#6 stever1000 has been a member since 7/1/2013. Posts: 28

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.