Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Chinese New Year in Bangkok 2014

Posted by adamandamydrew on 3/1/2014 at 11:56

We want to experience the best of the Chinese New Year celebrations in Bangkok this year (31st Jan 2014). We're working in the day of Friday 31st January, but have the evening free, and the rest of the weekend. But I'm struggling to find any schedules, or information on the festivities.

Can anyone give me any tips like:
* When are the fireworks, where is it best to view them from?
* When are the parades & what routes do they take (plus are these just on Friday 31st Jan, or also on Sat 1st Feb)?

Thanks in advance, and Happy New Year xxx

#1 adamandamydrew has been a member since 3/1/2014. Posts: 1

Posted by captainbkk on 4/1/2014 at 04:43 aware of -as for now still holding- election day on 2/2=the sunday after.
2.Most of your Qs are not fit for answer-yet. There are fireworks about everywhere-just go to any high point/roof. But BKK has fireworks about weekly somewhere for something. What exactly will be organised hardly matters-it has been cancelled 2 out of 3 times the last yrs. And it wont be publicised untill 2-3 days before.
And like many another NwYr its not a touristy organised experience, but more a local traditional way of doing things, not limited to just 31/1.
3. the very best of real Chin. NwYr celebrations-with the usual touristy stuff, is not in BKK but in Nakorn Sawan-do not got there unless accom secured, as its swamped by Sino-Thai. In fact BKK used to/still is be fairly quiet around that time, as most bisnis is Chinese and they close up shop for their family visits and holidays. But the growing nr. of Chinese tourists from SIN, MY etc. has more or less forced the TAT to do something.

#2 captainbkk has been a member since 16/2/2012. Posts: 472

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.