Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

21 days in Thailand, itinerary advice

Posted by Sobersailor on 10/1/2014 at 17:59

Hey All, this is my first post here. Was lurking for a good while in the background, gathering information crumbles from every related post...:D

Planning to go to Thailand in February. The itinerary would be the following:

Day 1 Arriving to Bangkok from Kuala Lumpur.

Day 1-2 Bangkok.
Day 3 Ayutthaya.
Day 4-6 Chiang Mai and surroundings.
Day 7 Flying to Krabi. (Any trouble with airport?)
Day 8-13 Krabi, Phi Phi, Koh Lanta.
Day 14-15 Khao Sok National Park.
Day 16-20 Ko Samui, Ko Pha ngan.
Day 21 Back to Bangkok.

We are a young couple, not looking for noisy parties, both of us love nature, good food, and new experiences. If you have any ideas how to make our journey (itinerary) better-easier please don't be shy posting your opinion. Thanx in advance. Have a nice day.

#1 Sobersailor has been a member since 10/1/2014. Posts: 4

Posted by exacto on 10/1/2014 at 19:02

Hi sailor,

Welcome to Travelfish, as the host has been known to say.

Your itinerary looks fine, at least from a logistics point of view, although Chiang Mai is a long way to go for just three days, and you'll be moving around quite a bit between places down south as well. If it were me, I'd either carve out a few extra days for Chiang Mai and the north, or skip it by substituting something like Kanchanaburi in its place. You'll save time and money that way, and while I prefer Chiang Mai to Kanchanaburi, the latter is a worthwhile destination on its own too.

You may want to consider fewer destinations down south as well. Maybe cut out Phi Phi or Koh Lanta (or both) rather than split that week between three destinations. It frequently takes half a day to move even between two relatively close places, between checking out of the guesthouse, getting to the transport, waiting, going, finding a new place to stay, etc. You don't want to spend too large a percentage of your time going from A to B when you could be enjoying A (or B) instead. Same with Samui or Pha Ngan. I'd just pick one and go with you.

The airport in Krabi is fine, although it is a bit out of town. I hope that helps. Have a great trip.

#2 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,651
 Where has exacto been? 

Posted by Sobersailor on 10/1/2014 at 20:42

Hi Exacto, thanx for your quick and helpful reply. Really appreciate it. Would probably lessen the number of places then and just chill....:D Thanx again.

#3 Sobersailor has been a member since 10/1/2014. Posts: 4

Posted by exacto on 10/1/2014 at 22:10

no worries. one of the many great things about travel in Thailand is that it is so flexible. if you find you like a place, you can hang out a bit longer. if you don't like a place, it is easy to move on to the next. you can travel with a general plan rather than a strict itinerary. have fun. regards.

#4 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,651
 Where has exacto been? 

Posted by jan1 on 21/1/2014 at 02:13

I agree with Exacto personally I don’t think Chiang Mai is worth the visit unless you go further into the country side ie to Pai

Maybe miss out Koh Lanta and head to Railey, Koh Phi Phi, Koh Lak, and Koh Sok as it is all in the same coast line,

My husband and I hired a car from Krabi airport on one trip which made getting about and covering large distances easier we went from Koh Sok N P for 2 nights, 3 nights Koh Lak, then on to Railey Ao Nang and Koh Phi Phi then took the flight to Koh Samui

On Koh Samui I allways allow one night fo Jungle Club on Koh Samui nice place to chill out and the end of the trip

If you are in Bangkok on a Sat or Sun check out the Chatuchak market

be adaptable incase you like a place and want to spend an extra night there

Any questions feel free to message me

Have a great trip Jan

#5 jan1 has been a member since 20/4/2004. Posts: 15
 Where has jan1 been? 

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 21/1/2014 at 04:12

Id do Trang and Krabi and drop Samui. Samui is expensive and mega touristy

#6 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Posted by Sobersailor on 21/1/2014 at 09:38

Thanx for the help and the advice, will talk to my wife and choose what we want to see, xtra mega touristy places would be a big no-no....:D

#7 Sobersailor has been a member since 10/1/2014. Posts: 4

Posted by SBE on 21/1/2014 at 09:55

Skip PhiPhi as well then because it's party central and very touristy too, probably not your cup of tea at all. Try Ko Jum instead, very easy to stop off there on the way to Lanta (same ferry from Krabi) so it makes sense logistically as well.

#8 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,019
 Where has SBE been? 

Posted by Sobersailor on 26/1/2014 at 07:27

Thanx for all of the advice, can not wait for the 1st of February...:D Hope it'll be as amazing as on photos I've seen.

#9 Sobersailor has been a member since 10/1/2014. Posts: 4

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.