Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Connection time at Don Mueang Airport

Posted by mmoody on 15/1/2014 at 11:38

We are flying from Siem Reap to Bangkok, arriving at 1:10pm on AirAsia.
Ideally we would like to connect to another flight heading down towards koh Samui that same day. There is a flight leaving Don Mueang at 2:30pm. Initially I thought this would be tight, but doable, now I am wondering about clearing customs and still having enough time to catch that flight?
Would it help that they are both Air Asia flights? Although not booked together, could my baggage be checked through? Anyone have any experience with this?

#1 mmoody has been a member since 7/12/2013. Posts: 6

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 15/1/2014 at 19:43

Aa flies to surat thani. Dont think they go to samui.

AA only offers fly thru baggage on major connections so no u would have to get bags and check in again.

Don Mueang isnt busy compared to other airport so its very doable. Only problem would be a delay in the 1st flight. If u have travel insurance i would risk it.

#2 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148
 Send LeonardCohen1 a private message 

Posted by Geer1 on 15/1/2014 at 20:19

mmoody, if you look closely AA's flight is actually a combination of a flight to Surat Thani or Nakhon Si Thammarat and then ferry to Samui. So is NokAir. Your only real option to fly directly the same day would be Bangkok Airways but that leaves from Suvarnabhumi and costs more. They do have afternoon evening flights you can get to in time and there is a free shuttle between airports so that might be the way to go if you are willing to pay the extra money.

Otherwise you can book the AA flight but that isn't a whole lot of time. Note AA closes check in 45 mins before flight(although not sure how sticky they are on this) so you would only have 35 minutes to get off the plane, get your bag, go through customs and get to check in counter and that is if your plane is on time. As Leonard says you can't book baggage through and if you miss flight due to 1st flight being delayed AA holds it at their discretion whether or not to

Or stay the night and take a cheap flight/ferry combo the next day or hop on a night bus/train then take ferry in the morning.

#3 Geer1 has been a member since 14/9/2012. Posts: 540
 Send Geer1 a private message   Where has Geer1 been? 

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 15/1/2014 at 21:53

R u dead keen on Samui?

Have a look at flight times into nakhon si tham, krabi and trang. Could always spend a few nights elsewhere then head to samui if u really want.

Those other places r worth exploring

#4 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148
 Send LeonardCohen1 a private message 

Posted by mmoody on 15/1/2014 at 22:03

thanks for the responses. On second thought I think we will spend the afternoon in Bangkok and catch the night train/ferry the next am to Koh Samui.

I think I will be too stressed out worrying if we will make the connection.

#5 mmoody has been a member since 7/12/2013. Posts: 6

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.