Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

chiang mai to laos

Posted by jonnybiss on 27/8/2007 at 21:25

hi whats the best way to get from chiang mai to laos and then to vietnam???

#1 jonnybiss has been a member since 27/8/2007. Posts: 1

Posted by somtam2000 on 28/8/2007 at 17:04 admin

A popular way is via Chiang Khong to Huay Xai, boat downriver to Luang Prabang, overland to Vang Vieng/Vientiane then fly to Hanoi.

See the Trip Planner section for some suggestions -- there's a multitude of combinations and permutations.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,576
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by exacto on 28/8/2007 at 23:24

depending on the amount of time you have and your budget, you might look into flying from chiang mai to luang prabang via lao airways. there is a daily flight. it is definitely more expensive, but quick and easy and also provides a very scenic view of the mekong en route. from luang prabang, you can fly directly to vietnam too if you wish, but if you've got the time, it is worth visiting other destinations in laos while you are there. cheers.

#3 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,659
 Where has exacto been? 

Posted by siftosan on 29/8/2007 at 16:20

I wonder if anyone would know how much the flight is from chiangmai to luang prabang since I'm short on trip time.

#4 siftosan has been a member since 29/8/2007. Posts: 1

Posted by exacto on 29/8/2007 at 21:59

check out the lao airways website for current prices. last i checked it was running about $85 per person. keep in mind that there is international departure tax at the chiang mai airport too.

#5 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,659
 Where has exacto been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.