Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Full Moon Party Questions

Posted by Kaitlynnicole02 on 11/2/2014 at 10:41

I am a 22 year old girl looking to go to the March 2014 Full Moon Party. Is this safe to do solo? I am hoping someone knows of a good dorm room or something like that where it is easy to meet other travelers. Also, do you have to book in advance or is it ok to just go and find accommodation? Thanks!

#1 Kaitlynnicole02 has been a member since 2/2/2014. Posts: 3

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 11/2/2014 at 18:32

No they are dodgy. Criminals love them.

1 murder a year
A few rapes
Drink spiking and robberies
Pooing and pissing in the ocean
Fire burns from jumping ropes on fire
Trashing the beach
A disgrace.

#2 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148
 Send LeonardCohen1 a private message 

Posted by exacto on 11/2/2014 at 19:08

Hi Kaitlynn,

I think that is one "No" vote from Lenny, although to be fair there are other frequent posters that don't have quite as negative a view of the Full Moon Party scene. I'd agree, however, that if you choose to go by yourself, you'll want to use an extra high degree of caution and maybe even not drink alcohol while you are there.

What is it that makes you want to go? Is it the spectacle or the shared experience or something else? Cheers.

#3 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,679
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Posted by MADMAC on 12/2/2014 at 03:27

I've never been attracted to this kind of event, even when I was young. So it's very hard for me to relate to. You are asking the question is it safe, which tells me you already suspect maybe it's not. I don't think it's high risk, but it's higher risk than most other activities you could engage in out here.

I don't agree with Leonard that it's a "disgrace". There are only a few places like this around the world - Daytona Beach, Ibiza, Koh Samui, VV (and VV has been shut down according to most reports), maybe Sao Paolo, I'm not sure. But basically the number of locations is small for kids to cut loose and be stupid. I don't relate, but I think people should have the right (and places) to cut loose and be stupid.

#4 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by felipedatt on 13/2/2014 at 13:17

Hi MadMac. What do you mean by Sao Paulo? You mean the biggest city in Latin America? I don't think the 20 something million people here are partying....

#5 felipedatt has been a member since 26/7/2012. Posts: 6

Posted by felipedatt on 13/2/2014 at 13:18

FMP is fun. And trashy.

#6 felipedatt has been a member since 26/7/2012. Posts: 6

Posted by jan1 on 13/2/2014 at 19:42

Is this safe to do solo?
Yes it is safe if as above said if you are on your own only have 1 or 2 drinks and you can always leave when feel you have had enough, hopefully you will meet up with others that are also going
Also, do you have to book in advance?
Yes best to book in advance some have a 3 night policy as 1 time when I went the whole islands was fully booked out in our place the staff had given up there beds and were sleeping in tents on the lawn area of the resort we were staying on Koh Phangan
Keep your wits about you and use your common sense and you will be good
You could always go just for the evening as boats return back to Koh Samui right through the night
Hope this helps Jan

#7 jan1 has been a member since 20/4/2004. Posts: 15
 Where has jan1 been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.