Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

First trip to Thailand...Thoughts?

Posted by BAMAnug on 16/2/2014 at 16:05

Hello all. Just booked my flight into Thailand for a two week vacation. Will be backpacking alone. I've done the backpacking thing in Europe several times, first time going to SE Asia. Here is my itinerary, any and all advice would be much appreciated.

Land in Bangkok on June 28.

June 28-July 1---Bangkok and Pattaya. Just explore, try and take in the big things.
July 1-July 5----Chiang Mai (flying from Bangkok). Plan on volunteering at the Elephant Nature Park, as well as doing some sort of jungle hike/camping trip. Suggestions, anyone?
July 5-July 9---- Phuket . Just live the beach life for a few days
July 9-11

Siem Reap / Angkor Wat. My return flight is out of Siem Reap, I can't justify going to this part of the world and not seeing Angkor Wat. So, ideally, I'll catch a flight from Phuket to Siem Reap and spend my last two days there.

Thanks in advance.

#1 BAMAnug has been a member since 16/2/2014. Posts: 7

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 16/2/2014 at 16:21

Have fun. Too touristy for me but.plenty love these places.

#2 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Posted by Saphir on 16/2/2014 at 16:50

I wouldn't try to cram too much into such a brief holiday. Also, no need to justify anything.

#3 Saphir has been a member since 19/5/2009. Posts: 74
 Where has Saphir been? 

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 16/2/2014 at 19:44

"Bangkok and Pattaya"

Not much to see in Pattaya (unless you want to see an ugly beach and lots of hookers/old guys). I'd just do Bangkok in that short period of time. You can see hookers and old guys in certain parts of Bangkok. But seriously, there's a number of good temples, museums and plenty of nightlife in Bangkok.

CM- Short time to volunteer. You barely have enough time to complete a multi day trek. Do the trek and visit an elephant park.

Phuket is touristy but has nice beaches and good tours.

#4 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Posted by amnicoll on 17/2/2014 at 06:27

agree with above and make sure you book flight to Siem Reap

#5 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 686

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.