Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Traveling on my own at end of year

Posted by John83 on 20/2/2014 at 15:02

Hello everyone I was hopeing if people could help me. I will be traveling around Thailand on my own at the end of the year and I was wanting help. I want to spend about a month in Thailand. Want to experience culture and enjoy myself to. Was hoping people could give me tips on what route to take? What is better night busses or trains? Also want to spend time with elephants if possible..

Thanks for any help.

John

#1 John83 has been a member since 20/2/2014. Posts: 1

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 20/2/2014 at 18:33

Night buses are dangerous. Flights are cheap. Go where ever you want, it's your holiday. If you really want culture then you wouldn't be following some set path.

#2 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Posted by somtam2000 on 20/2/2014 at 19:22 admin

Hi John,

There's just the single rail line up into the north, so most of your travel will be by bus (night- or day-) or boat (if you do the Tha Ton to Chiang Rai trip.

Elephants, well the flavour of the year it seems is Elephant Nature Park as for more "cultural" activities, trekking is the easiest way to take a look at how other minorities live, so here are two stories that may be of use:

Trekking 101
Trekking locations outside ChiangMai

As for places to go, personally I reckon Chiang Mai is a must see - both for its temples and food. Mae Hong Son is pretty while Soppong is worth a look for the caves. Pai isn't so much to my taste, but it is a highlight for many first time visitors to Northern Thailand.

Another good temple town is Lampang while in the far northeast, Nan offers some more off the neaten track trekking options.

Hope that helps.

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,565
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.