Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Mae Khlang Luang + Northern Loop

Posted by marianaamc on 6/3/2014 at 06:09

Has anyone ever visit?
Looks very beautiful but don't see many people talking about it.
This is what I found:
http://www.tripadvisor.com.br/Attraction_Review-g790337-d4830323-Reviews-Mae_Khlang_Luang_Village_stay-Chom_Thong.html#mtreview_176548177
http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=Mae+Klang+luang
Looks nice for a night stay.

Does anyone recommend doing a loop in northern thailand by rental car? Will be travelling in late july and I'm worried about safety in the winding wet roads. Also think it might be better a car when it's raining just so I don't get all wet.

#1 marianaamc has been a member since 30/10/2013. Posts: 62

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 6/3/2014 at 08:49

How do u know the roads will be wet?

Have u never driven in rain before?

The best thing to do in the north is hire a car. Chiang mai is pretty boring and overrun with tourists.

#2 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148
 Send LeonardCohen1 a private message 

Posted by marianaamc on 6/3/2014 at 11:57

Hi Leonard.
I don't know that. But at that time of year it will be nearly impossible not to encounter rain not a single day.
Anyway, I'm just worried because heard some people saying it was dangerous so I thought I would get an opinion since I do really want to do that.
I have driven in rain, but as I've never been there I don't know the condition of the roads compared to my country.
I'm glad it's OK and that you think it's a good idea. I do wish to do some sort of loop and I saw the ones here on travelfish but I am still deciding the places I want to see the most, wanna give me any tips?

Another question, I heard people saying I would have to leave my passport in the rental place but I don't want to. Is there any way to get around this?
And I do need to get an international drivers license right?

#3 marianaamc has been a member since 30/10/2013. Posts: 62

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 6/3/2014 at 19:12

I visit Thailand in july often and most days are sunny. I dont know where u get the rainy everyday from. Bit of a myth.

Thai roads are pretty good. The most dangerous places to drive r the big cities.

U keep yr passport. Only fools give it up. They will just photocopy it.

North wheels is a good car hire place.

Northwheels.com

Internation licence is needed for insurance claim if u crash. Can hire without one but best to be safe. They only cost about 30 dollars

#4 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148
 Send LeonardCohen1 a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.