Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

reading thai

Posted by kokodojo on 7/9/2007 at 21:39

Hey. im going to thailand for a month come this november.

i would like to actually understand how to read the signs and other things when i get there.
i am learning the language..bits a pieces.

any suggestions on good websites. programs. anything that could help me decifer the written language?

#1 kokodojo has been a member since 26/6/2007. Posts: 2

Posted by ChangFai on 7/9/2007 at 22:07

I would recommend starting at

Its funny , but as daunting as written Thai looks I found it quite easy to pick up , well compared to understanding the spoken tones that is .

After some incidents in restaurants , I was determined to be able to read a Thai Menu . I bought a book ( sorry cant remember which one ), and I had the Thai Alphabet [?] pretty much stuck in my brain after about two weeks .

Of course , just because I can read it , doesnt mean I understand it , but I get by nowadays , especially with Menus :-)

Chock Dee

#2 ChangFai has been a member since 10/4/2007. Location: Thailand. Posts: 139

Posted by MJS on 8/9/2007 at 01:10

I'm a big fan of and the book Thai for Beginners, by Benjawan Poomsam Becker. The book introduces you to vocabulary, listening, speaking, reading and writing all at the same time. It comes with cd's and there are intermediate and advanced books/cd's as well. The website and book both have come in handy for me! Good luck!

#3 MJS has been a member since 27/10/2006. Posts: 19

Posted by Jon_Mak_Mak on 11/9/2007 at 15:39

Thai for beginners (as mentioned above) is a good book. For writing, you should go straight in with learning the Alphabet.

Good luck!

#4 Jon_Mak_Mak has been a member since 21/2/2007. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 464

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.