Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Ko Lanta last week in June?

Posted by Cyn343 on 25/4/2014 at 16:37

Hello,

Hello I will be finishing up a 50+ day travel through SEA in Bangkok and am looking for a quite beach to relax, that's not too far from Bangkok...before heading home and back to work... I'm not to big on swimming as i'm not a very good swimmer! I was thinking of Ko Lanta, or maybe Ko Samui or Ko Samet??? any thoughts? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated this is my first visit to SEA! Thanks!!

#1 Cyn343 has been a member since 26/2/2014. Posts: 3

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 25/4/2014 at 18:31

For 1 week?

Id choose Chang. Nice laid back vibe and good food.

#2 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Posted by DLuek on 25/4/2014 at 20:28 TF writer

Lanta is pretty far from Bangkok -- 12-14 hour trip by bus to Krabi town then transfer to minibus for the 1.5 hour ride to Lanta; or you could fly to Krabi (Nok Air, Thai Airways, Air Asia or Bangkok Airways) and transfer straight to a Lanta-bound minibus at the airport. Beautiful beaches, and it will certainly be quiet there in June.

I'd maybe be thinking Ko Tao - very nice little island and easy to get there with the combined Lomprayah bus / high-speed boat (www.lomprayah.com), which leaves from Khao San Road. The gulf side also sees less rain in June than the Andaman side. You could also go to Chumphon by train (or regular bus) and hop a ferry to Tao from there. Of course Ko Samui and Ko Pha Ngan are in the same neighborhood as Tao.

Otherwise Ko Chang is a fine choice as Leonard says. Samet isn't bad either if you just want a beach to relax on. But Chang has a lot more to offer. You might also consider Ko Maak or Ko Kut (just south of Chang) if you prefer a more "out there" atmosphere. All of those will be very quiet (and probably a bit rainy) in June.

#3 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,176
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by tezza on 25/4/2014 at 23:30

I too would give Lanta a miss. It is in wet season in June and all the tourist beaches face westward into the prevailing wind, meaning lots of breeze blown flotsam onshore and at times waves and currents which can be tricky for average to poor swimmers. Lanta also has a reputation of closing down to a fair extent in the low season although more and more places seem to be staying open the full year.

Samet is not a bad choice - close to Bangkok, the driest wet season island in Thailand, and nearly all the beaches face east and are sheltered from the monsoon westerlies.

I like big Chang but it's maybe not the best in late June. Despite relative proximity to Samet, it, along with the Ranong islands near Burma, are statistically the wettest in Thailand. Check travelfish's interractive weather site.

I too think Tao, along with its neighbour Phangang, is the best mid-year island location in Thailand for budget travellers. The southern Gulf has a different wet season - normally Oct into January. And as DL says, access from Bangkok by Lomprayah or by sleeper train into Chumpon + ferry is an inexpensive way to get there.

#4 tezza has been a member since 13/4/2006. Posts: 1,339
 Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.