Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Buses

Posted by KRStamm on 13/9/2007 at 00:48

I was wondering about the bus situation in Southern Thailand? Is there a site or does anyone have any info on bus schedules. I plan on going from BKK to Chumpon via bus or train... what is better and then take the overnight ferry to Ko Tao (hopefully it doesnt rain on me). What is quicker? Bus or Train? Also anyone know about Ko Tarutao? Accomidations or is it better to just do a day trip?

Thanks a million
Kirstin

#1 KRStamm has been a member since 10/9/2007. Posts: 38

Posted by ChangFai on 13/9/2007 at 00:53

In my experience , Bus is always a lot quicker , bt is it safer , is the question ?

#2 ChangFai has been a member since 10/4/2007. Location: Thailand. Posts: 139

Posted by exacto on 13/9/2007 at 05:43

The bus should be okay for a trip from BKK to Chumphon, but I'd recommend taking the overnight train for any trip farther south than that. The buses for Chumphon depart from the southern bus terminal (sai tai mai) in Thonburi, not too far from the Khao San Road area. As ChangFai says, the bus tends to be quicker, but the train is more comfortable, usually safer, and is the far more scenic choice for window surfing.

I've never taken the overnight ferry to Ko Tao, but the one I took to Samui and Phangan were comfy and a fun adventure.

I haven't been to Tarutao and would be interested to hear what you discover there. Regards.

#3 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,651
 Where has exacto been? 

Posted by naomi1971 on 14/9/2007 at 04:10

hi,

if you want to go to Ko Tao,you can buy a ticket and take a bus from Khao San Road. Two years ago I bought the ticket about 450 baht for bus and ferry to Ko Tao at there. That was so cheap, really cheap!!

At that trip t took the bus from Khao San Road at 21 o'clock, and arrived the ferry of Chumpon at 5 o'clock. I must wait the ferry to start at 7 o'clock. There are 2 kind of boats: fast boat need 1.30 hour, and slowly boat need 3 hour.

Well, after reading this information i think you can know by yourself...what you should do,'a day trip' is enough??

Regards.
naomi

PS. There are many agecies around Khao San Road that you can buy the ticket. And maybe... you also can ask the ticket for going to Ko Tarutao.

Ko Tarutao is the National Park at Satun province.

#4 naomi1971 has been a member since 14/9/2007. Posts: 2

Posted by cybervlad on 14/9/2007 at 14:55

Agree about overnight train (sleeping place) + boat.
You will depart from Bangkok at about 7:00 p.m. and arrive to Koh Tao at about 11:00 a.m.

#5 cybervlad has been a member since 6/6/2007. Location: Thailand. Posts: 182
 Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.