Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Best Islands for Snorkeling

Posted by Surefolly on 15/5/2014 at 14:33

I'm planning a 3 week trip for my family to Thailand - approximately Feb. 6 - 27. My wife and I went to Koh Tao in 2003 and LOVED it - hands down the best snorkeling experience we've ever had. This trip we are bringing our boys (ages 11 and 8 at time of travel) and are thinking about going back to KohTao, but are also interesting and seeing some islands we've not been to before. What other islands in Thailand compare to Koh Tao when it comes to snorkeling? We've heard good things about Koh Kut and Koh Mak. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

#1 Surefolly has been a member since 15/5/2014. Posts: 8

Posted by DLuek on 15/5/2014 at 20:49 TF writer

I've never been to Ko Kut; the snorkeling on Ko Maak is decent (Ko Wai also good) but doesn't compare to Ko Tao, at least based on what I saw. I'd highly recommend Ko Surin, which is a small national park island on the Andaman side that takes a bit of effort to reach but is absolutely stunning. You can camp in tents or stay in a bungalow, and longtail boats driven by the local Moken people ("sea gypsies") can take you around to some amazing snorkeling sites. The Similans are comparable but get a lot more crowded with day trippers. You also might check out the Ang Thong Marine Park islands.

#2 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,177
 Send DLuek a private message   Website   Twitter 

Posted by charlottem92 on 20/5/2014 at 07:58

Koh Phangan has beautiful places to snorkel. Contrary to popular belief -it's actually a quiet little island (when full moon party isn't in full swing of course!).

#3 charlottem92 has been a member since 19/5/2014. Location: Belgium. Posts: 17
 Send charlottem92 a private message 

Posted by Meerlinse on 22/5/2014 at 01:45

I would recommend the islands in the Andaman Sea - Koh Similan, Koh Bon, Koh Tachai & Koh Surin. Beautiful islands with white beaches and good underwater conditions ... especially at Koh Surin!!

Of course Koh Similan is crowded with day trippers but check out Andaman Snorkel Discovery ... they offer a great trip which combines all the islands in one 4d/3n liveaboard tour (for snorkelers only). They avoid the crowds and show you islands and underwater world off the beaten tracks.

#4 Meerlinse has been a member since 22/5/2014. Posts: 2

Posted by comtam3000 on 4/6/2014 at 01:09

Hi - I spent 14 days in Koh Lipe last year, where the snorkeling was incredible. I haven't been to Ko Surin, or the Similans, but I definitely can say that the snorkeling that I did on Lipe and in the surrounding islands was much better than anything I saw on Phangan and Tao. There are plenty of reasonably priced tours you can take, or you can explore the reefs right off shore, which are impressive. Enjoy!

#5 comtam3000 has been a member since 4/6/2014. Location: United States. Posts: 72
 Send comtam3000 a private message   Website 

Posted by busylizzy on 4/6/2014 at 07:47

Hmmm... is comtam3000 the latest, updated version of somtam2000? Or a counterfeit...?

#6 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,153
 Send busylizzy a private message   Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by comtam3000 on 4/6/2014 at 08:04

comtam3000 is simply a lighthearted mockery of somtam's username :) Came to me today on my motorbike while riding through Saigon and reflecting on the delicious com tam thit kho I had just inhaled for lunch!

#7 comtam3000 has been a member since 4/6/2014. Location: United States. Posts: 72
 Send comtam3000 a private message   Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.