Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Posted by charlottem92 on 20/5/2014 at 11:22

Hi there :)

I visited Chiang Mai for more than a week last summer and didn't really 'feel' this place. It was one of those places people just couldn't stop praising. It quickly became the one place I couldn't wait to explore during my trip around Thailand. Things turned out a little different and I can't help but wrinkle my nose now at the mere thought of Chiang Mai. I'm returning to SEA this summer and I can't persuade my travelbuddy to skip Chiang Mai. So, does anyone have any suggestions on what to do/see around Chiang Mai area (Chiang Rai, Pai, Mae Rim, Mae Hong Song)? We plan on staying at least four nights, but can easily extend our stay.

I don't want to do overly 'touristy' things (so no tiger temple, doi suthep, elephant rides or hill tribes). I read a lot of good things about Elephant Nature Park, so that's one thing I really want to do. Any eco-friendly places/organisations to do a jungletrek with?

Thank you.

#1 charlottem92 has been a member since 19/5/2014. Location: Belgium. Posts: 17
 Send charlottem92 a private message 

Posted by caseyprich on 20/5/2014 at 21:27

Pooh Eco Trekking, a great outfit.

#2 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Send caseyprich a private message   Where has caseyprich been? 

Posted by MADMAC on 21/5/2014 at 22:16

Charlotte, you might consider having your travelbuddy go to Chiang Mai and you head somewhere else that appeals to you more. You guys aren't handcuffed together (at least I hope not) and there's nothing wrong with splitting for a while and linking up again latter at some pre-determined point. Just food for thought.

#3 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by somanights on 11/6/2014 at 04:16

Hey Charlotte, I cannot recommend the Mai Hong Son loop enough, really beautiful, and quite an antidote to the banana pancake circus. We recently published a blog about the place: Mae Hong Son loop, Vagabond Tribune

#4 somanights has been a member since 10/10/2013. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 21
 Send somanights a private message   Website   Twitter 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.