Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Three weeks in July. Help a first time visitor?

Posted by shua73 on 30/5/2014 at 23:06

My wife and I are leaving the kids behind for three weeks and taking a very late honeymoon in July.

We have a few things booked in the North (some relaxing after wrapping up teaching for the year). Some trekking, some elephant watching - you know how it goes.

Where I'm stuck is planning for the south. The Andaman seems a little wet, and Samui seems a little crowded. We'd love a place to eat great food and enjoy nice beaches. We'd love to experience something totally different than the Canadian west coast.

Ideas for 10 or so days in Southern Thailand?

Thanks.

#1 shua73 has been a member since 30/5/2014. Posts: 1

Posted by MADMAC on 31/5/2014 at 10:09

My wife likes Koh Samet a lot, but she's Thai and a lot of Travelfishers are looking for something different. have you looked into Trat / Koh Chang?

#2 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by amnicoll on 2/6/2014 at 05:38

Food is not a problem in Thailand but well worth checking out the weather maps like this one:

http://www.holiday-weather.com/ko_samet/averages/

They will give to an idea about how much rain but remember it often comes in a short sharp burst in the afternoon and the rest of the day is very nice

The big question may be do you want to stay in a town like Trat and head to the beaches during the day or be on an island

#3 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 686

Posted by Tilapia on 2/6/2014 at 06:55

The Samui side will be crowded at that time of the year. It's one of the drier areas during July, and a lot of European vacationers will be heading there for the summer holidays. But it still won't be as crowded as it is around Christmastime and New Year.

Why not look into Koh Pha-ngan? Or Koh Tao? Neither are anything like BC. Nor is anywhere else in Thailand that I can think of.

Since that is one of the drier parts of the country, perhaps consider spending a few days traveling along the coast between Bangkok and Surat Thani? There are a handful of great towns and beach areas that are close, or on the train line? Chumphon, Prachuap Khiri Khan, Bang Saphan, or even Kanchanaburi and Sangkhlaburi a little further inland and NW of Bangkok?

#4 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,499
 Where has Tilapia been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.