Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Koh Tao to Bangkok via land

Posted by Yun on 14/9/2007 at 14:56

I've read the Bangkok to Koh Samui/PN/Tao guide, as I am planning a trip in the other direction (Koh Tao to Bangkok).

My question is regarding buses - the guide says do not take any private buses from Khao San road. However if I am in the opposite direction, how will I know which buses are safe and which are not?

Can anyone recommend any safe options to leave Koh Tao in the afternoon with an overnight bus/train to Bangkok?

#1 Yun has been a member since 18/8/2007. Posts: 25

Posted by somtam2000 on 14/9/2007 at 15:00 admin

Yun -- you just have to read it backwards!

Unfortunately the only way to dodge the private buses is to go to Chumphon bus station and pick up a govt bus from there. They leave regularly and unless you're travelling in super-peak season you shouldn't have a problem.

If you opt for train, just book a through thing from Ko Tao -- trains don't have the same problem the private buses suffer from.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,707
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by Yun on 14/9/2007 at 15:20

Thanks Somtam. I read the guide backwards, but the area on buses (other than the warnings) tells me to where to book from in BKK, not Koh Tao - so I was hoping to avoid a problem going the other way.

For example, Lomprayah seems respectable in terms of ferries, but I suppose their buses are just as unsafe as the other private ones?

Is the best option to do it independently and just to turn up at Chumphon bus/train station and take whatever sleeper is available? (rather than booking a combined ferry/bus or ferry/train ticket online)

#3 Yun has been a member since 18/8/2007. Posts: 25

Posted by naomi1971 on 14/9/2007 at 20:15

well, for me i took the bus from Khao San raod. it is ok, cheap, big and clean bus, and comfortable. Only the private bus stop at a restaurant on the way, that i don't like and hate it. Because it's very very dirty.

But if you like to go other way, maybe you can read this website. I hope it will help you.

http://www.thai-tour.com/eng/suratthani/kohtao_travel.html

http://www.railway.co.th/English/Time_HTML.asp

Enjoy...

#4 naomi1971 has been a member since 14/9/2007. Posts: 2

Posted by MJS on 15/9/2007 at 19:43

I'm not sure you'll find a seat available if you just show up at the train station! I've booked a combined bus/train/boat ticket from bangkok to koh samui and koh tao a couple of times. And a combined boat/bus/train ticket from koh tao/koh samui to bangkok. I think it's a bit cheaper than buying seperate tickets and you don't have to worry about making the connection in time or getting lost.
I remember travelling with Songserm. No complaints about this company.

#5 MJS has been a member since 27/10/2006. Posts: 19

Posted by somtam2000 on 16/9/2007 at 09:14 admin

Lomprayah is fine for a through ticket. By private companies I mean travel agents running their own buses - these are the problematic ones. Songserm likewise, as MJS says, no complaints.

#6 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,707
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.