Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Will new Thai visa rules affect our plans?

Posted by katieandchris on 16/7/2014 at 13:53

I have done a lot of reading about the new Thai visa rules but wanted people's opinions on how this might affect our plans.

Our initial plan was as follows:

Fly from Heathrow to Bangkok, arriving on 6th October 2014.
Stay 30 days on Visa exemption stamp.

Leave Thailand at the end of the 30 days and go to Laos.
Spend 30 days in Laos.

At this point we wanted to go back to Thailand for another week before heading into Cambodia.
This would be end of Nov/Beginning of December.

Then we would be in Cambodia and Vietnam until the beginning of February 2015.
At this point we wanted to fly back to Thailand for another 30 days and work our way south to Malaysia.

This would mean spending a total of about 68 days in Thailand over 4/5 months with other countries in between. Will this work? Will we better off getting a multiple entry tourist visa? If so which one?

If it helps I have never been to Thailand before, boyfriend went there for 3 months 8 years ago.
Thanks for reading.

#1 katieandchris has been a member since 28/7/2013. Posts: 12

Posted by DLuek on 16/7/2014 at 16:34 TF writer

Unfortunately it's impossible to answer your question with anything more than educated guesses until these new regulations take hold for a few months (starting August 12 from what they're saying). One thirty-day entry and one double-entry tourist visa may be the way to go. My guess is that immigration at the Thai/Lao border will acknowledge that you're legit travelers, and you may not have any problems without any visas as long as you don't attempt to exit and then re-enter on the same day. But we'll need to wait for a clearer picture to emerge before anyone can be sure. If the plans are relatively flexible, I'd wait to see how things go in August / September before changing them. If things look sketchy you could always head straight to Cambodia from Laos rather than going back through Thailand for six days, using a double-entry tourist visa for the two remaining entries to Thailand.

#2 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,185
 Send DLuek a private message   Website   Twitter 

Posted by SiamAndBeyond on 21/7/2014 at 04:54

Your case is a perfect example of while the over-zealous enforcement of the rules could become problematic.
In the past, you could simply use the 30-day visa waiver for all your entries, but now—who knows?
Maybe you should play it safe and get a multiple entry tourist visa that is valid for 6 months, if that's possible.

#3 SiamAndBeyond has been a member since 21/7/2014. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.