Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Mekong River Cruises

Posted by Annielay on 4/8/2014 at 23:51

Hello. Does anyone have any recommendations for alternatives to the slow boat down the Mekong River from Chiang Khong/Houey Xay border to Luang Prabang. I have found a few cruise companies on line but was wondering if anyone has any good experiences they could advise on. We are a fit couple in our 60s who don't particularly want to rough it too much like we have done in the past. Also what is the must see destinations in Luang Prabang. Many thanks

#1 Annielay has been a member since 23/6/2014. Posts: 17

Posted by CaptainScott on 5/8/2014 at 05:15

I went with Shompoo Cruise from Huay Xai to Luang Prabang last November. It made things pretty simple as they pick you up from your guesthouse in Huay Xai and take you to the boat, then take you to your accomodation in Luang Prabang. It looked much more comfy than the backpacker boat. We got lunch every day which was good quality plus you could get beers and other drinks as you chilled out and watched the Mekong pass by. There was loads of room too and cushions to sit on. It was pricier (£85 or $140), but overall a nice experience for a treat. I'd suggest you book your own accomodation in Pakbeng, as it's cheaper then booking with them. There was a shortage of accomodation when I was there, and some of the backpackers had to sleep on the temple floor, so it might be an idea to book something. My guesthouse was a bit **** but was only £12 and booked through Agoda. It's a bit of a captive market in Pakbeng. Nagi of Mekong do the same route, and I think it's a similar sort of gig.

There were a couple of village stops, plus Pak Ou caves. I think the boat company partly fund one of the village schools. The first village stop felt a little intrusive, but not a terrible experience. The second village was the usual rice whiskey/handicraft place that a lot of folk visit from Luang Prabang, which was as expected - a tourist fest!

I'd say if you want a bit more comfort and you have the money, you should go for it.

#2 CaptainScott has been a member since 22/3/2013. Posts: 28
 Send CaptainScott a private message 

Posted by tiffane99 on 20/8/2014 at 04:15

this forum has not europe river cruise?

Rewards;
vikingcruiseseurope.blogspot.com

#3 tiffane99 has been a member since 20/8/2014. Posts: 1

Posted by Annielay on 20/8/2014 at 19:20

Thanks very much Captain Scott for the information. It is as I had thought so probably that is the way for us to go.

#4 Annielay has been a member since 23/6/2014. Posts: 17

Posted by MADMAC on 21/8/2014 at 07:17

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4dFDBYWuTc

#5 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.