Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Camera equipment in Bangkok

Posted by esseestpercipi on 29/8/2014 at 04:54

Hi everyone!
I have been searching the forum for some information on purchasing camera equipment in Bangkok and what I have found is a few years old. Si forgive me if this is repetitive:

I find myself (finally!) in BKK and I need to buy a memory card for my camera. Where is the best place to head to? I also need some ilford B&W film. But I dont know if this will be easy to find.

Thanks in advance!

#1 esseestpercipi has been a member since 3/3/2014. Location: Spain. Posts: 16

Posted by DLuek on 29/8/2014 at 05:18 TF writer

You can buy memory cards just about anywhere; loads of camera shops in MBK, Pantip Plaza and pretty much any of the big malls. Personally I go to a shop on the 3rd floor of Emporium (right next to the escalator that's nearest to the entrance from Phrom Phong BTS station). For the black-and-white film, you might check Camera & Lens in Central Rama 3 Mall down in Sathorn... They specialize in Leica products and also sell used cameras; I imagine they can point you in the right direction if they don't actually have what you're looking for. You also might check the vintage camera shops listed in this article: http://bk.asia-city.com/shopping/article/vintage-vogue

#2 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,176
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by goonistik on 29/8/2014 at 10:53

Hello!

To my best knowledge, the supply of film is erratic in South-East Asia, especially 120 and larger film sizes.

Try asking here:
http://procolorlab.com/

There is a list here bit it hasn't been updated since 2011
http://www.danimalweb.co.uk/blog/2012/01/20/buying-camera-film-in-south-east-asia/

Unfortunately in Asia, Japan and probably HK are the only places with a readily available supply of film materials.

#3 goonistik has been a member since 7/1/2010. Location: Philippines. Posts: 562
 Where has goonistik been? 

Posted by esseestpercipi on 29/8/2014 at 10:53

Fantastic! Thank you DLuek.
I have checked MBK this afternoon. There were about 5 or 6 shops with memory cards, but double or almost triple the price in Europe, and half the memory.! (Just for information - I was looking for a Sandisk Compactflash Extreme 128GB or more - and nobody had one. Maximum I found was 64gb for 22.500 THB!)
I'll check tomorrow the places you suggested.

Thanks again!

#4 esseestpercipi has been a member since 3/3/2014. Location: Spain. Posts: 16

Posted by esseestpercipi on 21/9/2014 at 04:31

Just a short up date & for future reference:
I finally found Ilford film. At Siam Square, though they only had 100 ISO Ilford Pan 35mm Film. Any other film has been impossible to find, apart from basic Kodak.

#5 esseestpercipi has been a member since 3/3/2014. Location: Spain. Posts: 16

Posted by comtam3000 on 22/9/2014 at 04:57

@esseestpercipi...that price is absolute madness for the memory card! If you have a little time in Bangkok, you'd be better off buying one on Amazon and getting it expressed there.

For anyone else wondering about camera equipment in Bangkok: I just spent a lot of time searching the web and Bangkok's malls for the right place to buy my camera. Ended up buying a grey market Nikon at Capa at Fortune Town for the cheapest price I'd found around. No issues yet - knock on wood. There's an extensive Flickr thread here full of people's camera shop recommendations.

#6 comtam3000 has been a member since 4/6/2014. Location: United States. Posts: 72
 Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.