Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Bangkok and ???

Posted by atousa on 3/10/2007 at 19:19

I'm going to Bangkok from November 8th to the 11th. I was planning on spending about 6 days somewhere else.
So my question is, where can I go after Bangkok? I will be in SE Asia from December 19th to January 4th, but was planning on spending most of my time in Vietnam. I'm thinking of three itineraries that would save me time in December.

1. Fly from Bangkok to Udon Thani, and then take the bus across the border into Vientiane.
2. Fly from Bangkok to Phnom Penh(killing fields, s1, etc) and a few days around Siem Reap.
3. Fly from Bangkok to Kuala Lumpur, go to the Batu Caves.

Laos, Cambodia, and Malaysia were all countries I wanted to see in December. Vietnam and Singapore are also on the list, but my visa for Vietnam is in December and I'm flying out of Singapore, so I have to go there anyway.

Where else can I squeeze into 6 days?

#1 atousa has been a member since 22/7/2007. Posts: 3

Posted by somtam2000 on 3/10/2007 at 19:37 admin

My vote is for Cambodia: it's the best one for a 6 day trip. Fly Bangkok to Phnom Penh, hang out there for a couple of days, then boat or bus to Siem Reap, two to three days there, then either overland or fly back to Bangkok.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,707
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by exacto on 3/10/2007 at 21:47

cambodia is a great option and definitely something you could manage in those six days. flying to pp instead of siem reap will save you money, and then you could overland the rest of the trip. as cool as those places are, just a few days each should be enough to get a good feel for them.

since you mentioned laos, if your budget allows, you might also consider flying in and out of luang prabang for your six days. that would be a rewarding and relaxing time.

if you were thinking of staying more around bangkok, six days on samet island could be fantastic, particularly if you arrived mid-week and arrange your accommodation before the weekenders arrive.

i might also consider just hanging out, splitting the time between kanchanaburi and ayutthaya. great history, ruins, and food options. plus it would be a less expensive and less hectic possibility.

let us know what you decide to do and drop a line telling us about the experience. sounds like fun. regards.

#3 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,685
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Posted by atousa on 3/10/2007 at 22:39

No Malaysia? If I go to Malaysia now, then I can cut it out completely in December and fly directly from Bangkok to Singapore.
I guess the same can be said about Cambodia though. If I do it in November, then I can bypass it completely in December.
What about Laos? Is it too much of a hassle to try to visit in 6 days? I heard Air Asia was introducing a flight to Vientiane in November, but I'm not sure how concrete that rumor is.
I'm just trying to think of possible routes/combinations that will save money and time in December.

#4 atousa has been a member since 22/7/2007. Posts: 3

Posted by Tilapia on 4/10/2007 at 02:57

Ditto the recommendation for Cambodia and several days in PP and Siem Reap. See the temples before they start having hot air balloon flights over them, or laser shows.

#5 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,508
 Send Tilapia a private message   Where has Tilapia been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.