Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Train from Kanchanaburi all the way to Suvarnabhumi Airport?

Posted by manna on 4/10/2007 at 03:57

I need to get from Kanchanaburi to Suvarnabhumi airport for a 13:20 domestic flight. I'm wondering if I could catch a train all the way but I'm not sure if the airport extension is in operation yet. Would it be smarter/easier to take a bus the entire route? Would I have to transfer in the city?

#1 manna has been a member since 30/3/2007. Posts: 15

Posted by exacto on 4/10/2007 at 04:33

hey manna,

i'm afraid i don't know if the airport extension rail is in operation yet or not. but the train from kanchanaburi doesn't go to or through the main train station in bangkok. it goes to the thonburi noi station in thonburi, just across the river from khao san road.

there are minivans that make the trip from kanchanaburi back to khao san road, so perhaps one of these services extends all the way to the new airport as well. in any case, the new airport is way on the other side of the city from kanchanaburi, so you'll most likely need to transfer somewhere to get there. be sure to leave plenty of time for the trip. cheers.

#2 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,686
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Posted by todmanplaa on 4/10/2007 at 08:25

Airport extension is still a long way off completion.

If you're in a hurry, bus is far faster than the train

#3 todmanplaa has been a member since 4/10/2007. Posts: 4

Posted by manna on 4/10/2007 at 09:57

Great - thanks for your advice! I'm definitely going to bus it. Do you know if the transfer at the Southern Terminal (Sai Tai Mai) to the bus that goes to Suvarnabhumi is as easy as it sounds? Also, is there a website for the bus company so I can check departure and transit times? All I can find is 3rd party info like from the airport website.

#4 manna has been a member since 30/3/2007. Posts: 15

Posted by manna on 6/10/2007 at 08:37

Realistically, how long do you think the bus journey would take? Do you think I could make it in 6-7 hours with the transfer? It sounds like it should only take about 3-4 hours but I definitely don't know the ropes.

#5 manna has been a member since 30/3/2007. Posts: 15

Posted by manna on 6/10/2007 at 08:38

Realistically, how long do you think the bus journey would take? Do you think I could make it in 6-7 hours with the transfer? It sounds like it should only take about 3-4 hours but I definitely don't know the ropes.

#6 manna has been a member since 30/3/2007. Posts: 15

Posted by Lother on 6/10/2007 at 16:58

6-7 hours is definitely enough. Kanchanaburi-Bangkok by bus only takes 2-3 hours, so 3-4 hours sounds about right.

#7 Lother has been a member since 12/5/2006. Location: Earth. Posts: 214
 Send Lother a private message 

Posted by goo_stewart on 10/10/2007 at 10:59

Make sure if you take the bus to get one to Mor Chit bus station, try not to catch one to the southern bus terminal as it will take 1 hour +++ to battle the Bkk traffic to the airport (even the expressway isn't easy at rush hours).

#8 goo_stewart has been a member since 10/10/2007. Posts: 69
 Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.