I want to go from Krabi to the Similan Islands. Is it possible to get there in a day using public transport? I'm wondering if I'd be able to get a boat by just showing up at the Thap Lamu Pier.
I then want to go on to Khao Sok National Park. What route would I take?
Thanks for any help.
#1 McCaskell has been a member since 14/8/2007. Posts: 4
Take regular bus from Krabi bound for Takua Pa -- that will get you up Thap Lamu way. Likewise for Khao Sok, bus heading east from Takua Pa will coast right by the park entrance.
Thanks, but I also need to know if there are boats that leave Thap Lamu pier for Ko Meang/Miang later in the day than the 8:00am ones I've read about.
Grateful for info.
#3 McCaskell has been a member since 14/8/2007. Posts: 4
Hi, how long does the bus from Takua Pa take to get to Khao Sok, and do they come often?
#4 msaw has been a member since 3/11/2007. Posts: 9
I have some more questions about this:
1)I would be trying to get from Surat Thani airport to Khao Sok, then to Khao Lak (for trip to Similans), and then to Koh Phi Phi.
Assuming I'm landing at ST airport at 1pm, I manage to get a bus to Phuket (which is the one which stops at Khao Sok, or is it another one?)
2) What bus should I take from Khao Sok to Khao Lak and wat is the latest departure time?
3) what would be the best way to get from Khao Lak to Koh Phi Phi?
thanks in advance!
#6 Seba has been a member since 28/4/2009. Posts: 54
1) Yup some, though not all buses from Surat Thani to Phuket pass by Khao Sok. So you need to either get one that does, or get a bus to Takua Pa/Khao Lak which will definitely go past the park entrance.
2) Can't help on the latest departure time as you'd just be getting on a bus from Surat Thani to Takua Pa/Khao Lak.
3) Depends if you are going there from Phuket or Krabi -- in both cases you will be able to get a bus from there to each centre and then boat onwards. Guesthouses and travel agents will also arrange minibus/boat combos which may work out more conveniently.
Hope that helps.
MAC - for what it's worth, there are travellers' minibuses go direct from Krabi to Khoa Lak over good mountain roads which short-cut the > route taken by the public buses. From memory they hit the coastal road south of Lak, not too far from Thap Lamu.
I think there are two trips in high season, but no way would the first one get up there anywhere near 0800. Your best bet is to catch one the day before and book Similans tranport from your Lak bugnalow or one of the trip sellers in town. This will include transfers to the pier. Of course you could make your way there independently - it's about 15-20km. I think you will find all the boats leave pretty early.
SEBA - 3) Those same minibuses do the reverse trip. One I caught delivered a bunch of people to the out of town Krabi pier for either the Phi Phi or Lanta ferry.
excellent! thanks a lot guys!
#9 Seba has been a member since 28/4/2009. Posts: 54
more than 2 years between postings
#11 longbeach has been a member since 28/3/2012. Posts: 307
Update info always useful.
But um, there are way more than 4 buses per day between Takua Pa and Khao Sok. Maybe cz meant buses originating in Takua Pa. But there are also fairly frequent buses between Phuket and Surathani run this route as Somtam pointed out. I'd be looking at a bus per hour in daylight.