Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Entering Thailand

Posted by joenel on 17/10/2007 at 02:11

I am going to Thailand from Canada on january 15th for my first time. its my first time travelling out of North America/Mexico and plan on doing a few visa runs. after Thailand i am going down to Malaysia and Indo, followed by OZ. i am staying in OZ for a year on a holiday marker work visa.

Does anyone know, if i book a one way ticket to Thailand, do i need to book a bus ticket leaving the country? or can i simply just book one when i get there? usually i know you have to have an exit ticket. If i do need one can anyone tell me where is the safest place to book the ticket?

Any help anyone can give will help me.

Thanks in advanced.

#1 joenel has been a member since 17/10/2007. Posts: 1

Posted by goo_stewart on 17/10/2007 at 06:00

Ok, by law (and the latest directives by Immigration) you should show a return ticket to qualify for the 30 day visa waiver scheme. There are signs up at the major points of entry. However, I have traveled in without any problems and a friendly smile from the immigration guy. It really does depend on his (or her) mood. I traveled through a land border a couple of months back, with a sign saying I must show a return
ticket on the desk, but they gave me a 30 day stamp without any return ticket. I did have my bicycle with me which was kinda proof of onward travel!

The most likely scenario is that you will be stopped boarding your aircraft without a visa. I know it seems ridiculous that they sell you a ticket then won't let you board, but thats what may happen. The airlines are far more fussy than Thai immigration.

I don't know a place where you can buy a bus ticket outside the country, but you can book train tickets on-line. The other option is Asias many no-frills airlines.

#2 goo_stewart has been a member since 10/10/2007. Posts: 69

Posted by ruxandra on 17/10/2007 at 14:28

Hi there,

I am also Canadian and arrived in Bangkok on a one way ticket on October 12th - a week ago or so. I did see the bright pink and yellow signs saying you need proof of onward travel, which I did not have, and still got a 30 day visa no problem. The guy behind me in line from Colorado, USA also arrived on a one way ticket with no proof of onward travel and received a VISA no problem. So you are taking your chances but I don't forsee there being any problems.
Good luck, you'll have an amazing adventure!

#3 ruxandra has been a member since 6/4/2006. Posts: 9
 Send ruxandra a private message 

Posted by CunningMcFar on 18/10/2007 at 02:33

you could get a 60-day tourist visa before you leave, from the Thai Consulate in Canada. This should also solve the problem of boarding your flight mentioned in #2 above.

The stamp most folks get in their passports at airport immigration is not actually a visa, but a 30-day exemption stamp.

#4 CunningMcFar has been a member since 20/8/2004. Posts: 163
 Send CunningMcFar a private message   Where has CunningMcFar been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.