Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Hat Lek - Cham Yeam Border Crossing Open?

Posted by mklema on 3/5/2015 at 08:20

Hello,

In a few weeks I'm planning to cross into Koh Kong, Cambodia from Trat, Thailand via the Hat Lek - Cham Yeam Border Crossing. However, according to Google Maps the Thailand Border Crossing Checkpoint at Hat Lek is "permanently closed." (See map here). This seems strange to me and I can't find any information on the internet about the border crossing being closed.

Has anyone crossed through this checkpoint recently? Any news about whether it's open or not?

Thanks!!!

#1 mklema has been a member since 3/5/2015. Posts: 2

Experience the Andaman Sea
Experience the Andaman Sea
Ad Spend 3 days / 2 nights on The Junk
From US$400.

liveaboard.com

Read more

Posted by amnicoll on 5/5/2015 at 06:32

Is is certainly OPEN and have used 10 days ago - google maps is not the best place for this sort of info.

You will have to fight hard to pay the official $30 visa on arrival fee (they ask for 1500 baht) and do not take the medical exam (this is a scam) or let anyone fill in you arrival card. You will then have the hassle of getting to Koh Kong town and need to bargain hard with the touts.

If you are heading to Sihanoukeville then for you reference the cost of a taxi from Koh Kong is $10 for a place $20 for the front seat to yourself and $60 for the taxi for yourself (you may even get this down if you find a Sihanoukeville driver wanting to get back). They were trying to get people to pay $150 at the border!

I have used the border many times and feel free to ask further questions

#2 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 960
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by mklema on 7/5/2015 at 10:46

Thanks so much! Glad to hear it's definitely open - just wanted to double check.

I have a multiple entry visa for Cambodia so should be able to avoid the visa scams.

Is taxi the best way to get to Koh Kong town? If so, about how much should the cost be?

Thanks for all your help!

#3 mklema has been a member since 3/5/2015. Posts: 2

Posted by amnicoll on 8/5/2015 at 04:40

basic options are:

moto 50 to 100 baht (if 50 you will also pay the toll) depending on how hard you argue, if you can get rid of the touts - best to negotiate with a driver bringing someone who wants a quick fare back

tuk tuk 150 to 300 baht

taxi not sure of cost

If you happen to time your arrival with that of the bus from PP or Sihanoukeville they will probably take to into town for a couple of US$

#4 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 960

Posted by Dugla on 22/2/2017 at 00:32

Going to cross the border at Cham Yeam from Cambodia to Thailand. Are there scums on this way? Does it worth to stop in Koh Kong?

#5 Dugla has been a member since 21/2/2017. Posts: 1

Posted by amnicoll on 22/2/2017 at 04:48

the only scams that I know are:

1.If you buy an inclusive ticket from Koh Kong to bangkok/pattaya and other Thai destinations you may find that the ticket is not accepted on the Thai side and you will have to buy new tickets.

2. There may be a tout on the Cambodian side or no mans land offering to sell a ticket to Trat , Ignore him

3.Some of the mini vans to Bangkok and Pattaya may try and extract a stupid fee but the mini van to Trat is 120 baht and the guys are honest and then the bus from Trat to bangkok is about 240 baht

yes worth stopping in Koh Kong

#6 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 960

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.