Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Pre Booking Flights, Trains, Rooms, Etc.

Posted by kman on 11/11/2007 at 10:25

Hi everyone,

We're first time travelers (2ppl) to Thailand arriving Nov 18th (at 00:05) and departing December 6th. I'm wondering how necessary it is to book domestic flights, train/bus rides and accomodation ahead of time (i.e. book them now before we arrive). We normally like to 'play it by ear' however I've read a lot about it being the high-season and am getting a little nervous. Will we be ok or will be be sleeping on the streets and stuck in one place with no transportation? :)

Thanks!

#1 kman has been a member since 11/11/2007. Posts: 2

Posted by exacto on 11/11/2007 at 11:22

Hi kman,

You won't be travelling in the heart of the high season, so you should be fine just playing it by ear like you normally do. That is particularly true for things like bus rides and accommodation.

However, depending on how flexible you are on travel days/times, you might look into booking your domestic flights and trains (specifically the overnight trains to chiang mai and destinations in the south) ahead of time, as those can fill up. You'll also typically get a better price on domestic flights with the discount carriers the more in advance you book.

I might also book a room for that first night you are arriving, since it could easily be 0200 or later by the time your flight arrives (if it is on time), you clear immigration and customs, then get to your hotel or guest house.

There is a very well done article in the feature section of the website called "Do I need reservations for my holiday?" Give it a look, as it contains heaps of details to help you with this very question. Regards.

#2 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,685
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.