Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

planning my First trip in to Thailand

Posted by Maja on 21/11/2007 at 14:36

Hello all! I'm absolute newcomer here :-) don't know too much about Thailand, but know one thing for sure -want visit this country! My idea is to come to Bangkok, rent there a car and go by car till Satun. and then spend there a relaxing week. That's why I want to ask you, who already know Thailand from its "inside" I'd say, some advices :-)
1)how will be the weather in February? cause I'm planning my trip in February.
2) is it possible in general to go from Bangkok to Satun?..is it convinient? how are roads?
3)should I better book accomodation on my trip everywhere in advance? ir better to take in stop?
4)can You please advise me good accomodation in Satun for relaxing holiday?
think that's all :-)))

will really appreciate you help and advice!cause it's rather hard to organize everything without knowing th country absolutely and beeing sooooo far, I'm from Ukraine by the way. Pleas contact me on my mail edited - please no email addresses Thank you!!!!

#1 Maja has been a member since 21/11/2007. Posts: 1

Posted by marine_boy on 21/11/2007 at 18:42

I would say driving in Thailand all that way from Bangkok, you should get a medal if you reach Satun in one piece on Thai roads (have looked at the death rate)?
I am also going to this province in Feb, but trying to stay island to island, as if there is any fighting on the mainland towns/cities i don't want to be there!
But Trang/Satun....GREAT PLACES

#2 marine_boy has been a member since 21/11/2007. Posts: 1

Posted by RandyHiggins on 21/11/2007 at 21:18

I've driven from the far north to Phuket. No problems on the roads. As in many places driving during the day is safest. Main roads are good. I haven't been to Satun, so I don't know.

February should be pretty comfortable. February is the high season, it might not hurt to book in advance. I just found Travelfish. It looks like they have some great connections, much better than Lonely Planet or many other web-sites.

If you rent a car it won't be too hard to look around or drive on if you don't find what you are looking for. So you may want to leave yourself with flexibility. You'll probably find what you need.

#3 RandyHiggins has been a member since 21/11/2007. Posts: 1

Posted by somtam2000 on 22/11/2007 at 11:06 admin

It's a long long drive from Bangkok to Satun, but if that's how you want to get around, driving in Thailand is no big deal -- the roads are excellent, even if some of the drivers are complete loons.

For weather information, please see here

In Feb no real need to book ahead.

#4 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,566
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.