Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Backpacking, but where to go swimming? Are there public pools?

Posted by motogirl on 10/12/2007 at 18:17

Hi all. Just wondering how fellow travellers staying in basic guesthouses (not near the beach, eg bangkok, chiang mai etc) cool down? I've never really backpacked before. Stayed in a resort in bali, and when we went out for dinner some restaurants/bars had a public swimming pool for use.

#1 motogirl has been a member since 18/11/2007. Posts: 8

Posted by princessdisaster on 11/12/2007 at 10:06

with a beer......

It really depends on where you are and what you are doing. In Siam Reap, I did go to a hotel pool and they charged us a $1 to use it for the day, In Laung Prabang we went swimming at the water falls - I was never really a priority I was there to see and do other things not just sit by the pool all day.

#2 princessdisaster has been a member since 30/11/2006. Posts: 36

Posted by ChangFai on 11/12/2007 at 10:11

I think you will always find a nearby hotel that will allow you to use their pool for a small fee , or as a customer .

#3 ChangFai has been a member since 10/4/2007. Location: Thailand. Posts: 139

Posted by exacto on 11/12/2007 at 10:24

It is a nice splurge to stay at a place with a pool every once in a while. Good examples are K.T. Guesthouse in Bangkok or Top North Guest House in Chiang Mai. But like the others say, many places will let you use their pool on a daily basis for a small fee even if you are not staying there. By the way, the swimming at the waterfalls princessdisaster mentions is great, as are most of the beaches throughout the reason. Be sure to pack your swimsuit, and it's always good to bring a towel. Cheers.

#4 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,651
 Where has exacto been? 

Posted by ChangFai on 14/12/2007 at 09:56

Not swimming really , but I do like the hot water spring spa places that seem to be everywhere up north .

#5 ChangFai has been a member since 10/4/2007. Location: Thailand. Posts: 139

Posted by Guernseystu on 18/12/2007 at 15:16

This may be a novel concept for some - but how about trying a cold shower?

#6 Guernseystu has been a member since 10/7/2007. Posts: 108

Posted by motogirl on 18/12/2007 at 17:14

cheers- some of those posts were really helpful :)
(pffft not the smartass ones..) after a day on the bike trecking the country roads.. its nice to spend a couple hours chilling out with water surrounding you and a cocktail in hand...

#7 motogirl has been a member since 18/11/2007. Posts: 8

Posted by Guernseystu on 19/12/2007 at 10:22

Not being smartarse luv, do as the Thais do and you'll be fine. They know how to cope in the hot weather.

#8 Guernseystu has been a member since 10/7/2007. Posts: 108

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.