Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Any experiences with Koh Tarutao and Koh Adang?

Posted by pedahlen on 10/12/2016 at 17:12

Hello! :-)

We are going to Thailand i February, and we would like to visit either Koh Tarutao or Koh Adang, but we don't know, which of the two islands that is the best?

We are travelling with our 4 children in the age of 1½-11 years, so it won't be easy for us to do long walks or biking...

We would like to see some beautiful nature and hopefully some exotic animals, so is there anybody who has visited one or both of the islands, and can tell us, which island they would recommend?

Or is it just hopeless to visit these islands, when we are travelling with our children, when they are not older than 1½-11 years?

Thank you so much for your help! :-)

#1 pedahlen has been a member since 10/12/2016. Posts: 2

Posted by DLuek on 11/12/2016 at 20:39 TF writer

I've been to both a few times and both have decent accommodation. There's a good chance of seeing wildlife on both. Adang does not have roads; there are a few hiking trails including a great viewpoint within walking distance of headquarters and the accommodation area. Tarutao has a couple of roads and there are usually songthaew trucks with drivers that can be rented by the hour, though you'll have trouble renting one if visiting at a busy time. I don't have kids so can't comment on what's appropriate for a 1-year old. Adang has quicker access to good medical facilities, as Ko Lipe is just across a channel. Longtail boats can be hired privately on either and on Tarutao those same songthaew trucks run public routes from headquarters in the north down to the central west coast beaches, but only in high season. I've found national park staff and facilities to be inconsistent on both. The beach at Adang headquarters has clearer water but Tarutao has much longer beaches and more of them. Otherwise both should offer a fine nature experience.
https://www.travelfish.org/location/thailand/southern_thailand/satun/ko_tarutao
https://www.travelfish.org/location/thailand/southern_thailand/satun/ko_adang

#2 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,221
 Send DLuek a private message   Website   Twitter 

Posted by pedahlen on 18/12/2016 at 16:45

Thank you very much for your reply and fine description of the two islands! :-)

So Koh Tarutao doesn't have more wildlife than Koh Adang?

And you don't like one of the two islands better than the other? ;-)

#3 pedahlen has been a member since 10/12/2016. Posts: 2

Posted by DLuek on 19/12/2016 at 21:13 TF writer

So Koh Tarutao doesn't have more wildlife than Koh Adang?

Both are very large and pristine islands with loads of wildlife! The wildlife on Tarutao may be a bit easier to see just because the island has a couple of roads, whereas Adang has no roads and not many trails. But you may not see much wildlife on either if you're not able to go far from park headquarters.

And you don't like one of the two islands better than the other?

Personally I guess I like Tarutao a little more but that's mainly because I enjoy cycling, and Tarutao has some roads and mountain bikes for rent. I also appreciate the history of the political prisons on Tarutao, which can be experienced at Ao Talo Wao historical trail. On the other hand, Tarutao can't match those views from Adang.

However the snorkeling is better around Adang, with clearer water and better boat trip opportunities. From Adang you can take a longtail boat to neighboring Ko Rawi and Ko Hin Ngam -- the latter is a very unusual island, just don't take one of the stones or you will be cursed! Adang is also convenient in that it's so close to Ko Lipe, which is busy and has loads of resorts and restaurants. On the other hand, it's not all that difficult to reach Lipe from Tarutao either.

Tarutao and Adang are both part of the same national park (Mu Ko Tarutao Marine Park) so they're in the same general area. Depending on how much time you have, you could stay on Tarutao for two or three nights and then continue on for a comfier stay on Ko Lipe, from where you could hit Adang (and Rawi / Hin Ngam) as a day trip. Just a thought.

#4 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,221
 Send DLuek a private message   Website   Twitter 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.