Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

From Bangkok Suvarnabhumi airport to Ayutthaya

Posted by Sonialib on 28/12/2016 at 06:01

Hi guys,

we're going to Thailand on february, I'd like to know if it is possible going from Bangkok international airport to Ayutthaya? By train or by bus ?

Thanks

#1 Sonialib has been a member since 28/12/2016. Posts: 2

Posted by DLuek on 28/12/2016 at 06:29 TF writer

There is no bus running direct from Suvarnabhumi to Ayutthaya as far as I know. You can take a taxi straight to Morchit (Northern) Bus Terminal to catch an Ayutthaya-bound minibus. Or you could take the Airport Rail Link and transfer to the BTS Skytrain at Phaya Thai Station and catch the skytrain to Mo Chit BTS Station, then a brief taxi ride to Morchit Bus Terminal; Thais usually call it "Morchit Song" (Morchit 2) or "Morchit Mai" (New Morchit) to differentiate the bus terminal from the BTS Station and old northern bus terminal area.

If you want to take a train to Ayutthaya, you could catch the free airport shuttle bus from Suvarnabhumi to Don Mueang Airport and get off at Terminal 1, then go upstairs and use the elevated walkway to reach Don Mueang Train Station, where you could grab a train to Ayutthaya -- they roll through frequently.

#2 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,271
 Send DLuek a private message   Website   Twitter 

Posted by exacto on 28/12/2016 at 10:03

Are there still minivans running from Victory Monument to Ayutthaya ? If yes, you could also take a taxi from the airport to Victory Monument, and then take the minivan from there to Ayutthaya.
In my opinion the best option would be the free airport shuttle bus from Suvarnabhumi to Don Mueang and then catch the next train to Ayutthya (as described above by DLuek), as that option has the least moving parts and would easily be the least expensive too. Plus, I love arriving in Ayutthaya by train.
But it would depend on what time you are arriving as well. On an early morning arrival like the flights from Europe, you'd have no trouble making your way to Ayutthaya. But on the late night arrivals from North America, you'd be better off overnighting in Bangkok and heading up the next day. Regards.

#3 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,740
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Posted by Sonialib on 28/12/2016 at 17:22

Thnak you for your answers. I'd like to reach Ayuttaya by train but I read that it's not possible to take a free shuttle between the two airports if I don't have the ticket fot a flight from Don Mueang, is it?

#4 Sonialib has been a member since 28/12/2016. Posts: 2

Posted by DLuek on 29/12/2016 at 00:37 TF writer

There are no longer minibuses running from Victory Monument to Ayutthaya (or any place outside of Bangkok); in late October they were all relocated to the main bus terminals.

I hadn't heard that about needing a plane ticket to use the free airport shuttle but it may well be true as it's really there to service people with connecting flights. You could try it and if they don't let you on just take a taxi straight to Don Mueang train station, which would cost around 300 baht plus 50 baht airport surcharge and any tolls.

Also a taxi straight from Suvarnabhumi to Ayutthaya would cost about 1,500-2,000 baht if you want minimal hassle. You'd have to negotiate that with the driver, no meters for longer trips like that.

#5 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,271

Posted by amnicoll on 30/12/2016 at 02:07

You do need an onward ticket to use the shuttle bus - they check them.

For the train get the mini van from the airport to Don Muang and ask to be dropped at the railway station. Cost about. 100 baht if you have luggage as they charge you twice. Regular trains depending on time of day

#6 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 848
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Posted by DLuek on 30/12/2016 at 02:29 TF writer

Another option: Take the Airport Rail Link and switch to the MRT subway at Makkasan / Phetchaburi and then take the MRT straight to Hualamphong Station and depart for Ayutthaya from there. This is actually what I'd do if wanting to take the train to Ayutthaya, rather than dealing with taxis or vans from Suvarnabhumi to Don Mueang. The train ride is a bit longer if starting at Hualamphong but doesn't much matter as trains are so slow in Thailand anyway.

#7 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,271

Posted by amnicoll on 31/12/2016 at 00:37

Good idea above but I would get the MRT going the other way to Bang Sue for the connection onto the train -this might make the difference between just catching the train and missing it as the train takes about 20 minutes to make it way to Bang Sue from Hualumpong

#8 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 848

Posted by DLuek on 1/1/2017 at 01:56 TF writer

Ahh yes good thinking ^ I always forget about Bang Sue.

#9 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,271

Posted by amnicoll on 1/1/2017 at 02:09

The other advantage of going via Don Muang is that if you are unlucky with the timing of the train you can either pick up the bus or sit in comfort at the Amari hotel . If you have a timetable then you can work out the best option of where to catch it

#10 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 848

Posted by wanderer143 on 9/1/2017 at 18:49

Taking a taxi is a more convenient choice. Otherwise, the buses are of good, cheaper option too.

#11 wanderer143 has been a member since 2/11/2014. Posts: 88

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.