Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Nana to airport via Makkasan: Is this cutting it too close?

Posted by NamManao on 31/1/2017 at 14:16

I've got a Thailand trip planned for March. On March 6 (a Monday morning), I would like to take the 7:10 a.m. flight to Krabi on Thai Smile from Suvarnabhumi Airport. I'll be leaving from the Nana area (Soi 11) and plan to take a cab the short 2 km distance from there to the Makkasan Station so I can take the air terminal train to the airport.

Here's the thing though: I see that the first of those trains running in the morning leaves at 6:18 a.m. Information I find online says that the train takes 30 minutes. That would get me to the airport at 6:48 a.m. to get on a plane that leaves at 7:10 a.m. Would that be cutting it way too close? Sounds like it to me.

If so, I guess the alternatives are to get a taxi way earlier and thus pay way more money (not a big problem if I have to do that) or choose the next flight to Krabi instead, which I think is a couple of hours later.

#1 NamManao has been a member since 25/12/2016. Posts: 5

Skip the queues!
Skip the queues!
Ad Book plane, train, bus & ferry tickets
with 12Go Asia.

12go.asia

Read more

Posted by exacto on 31/1/2017 at 14:55

Hey Lemonade!
I think you answered your own question. The airport train will drop you off in the lower level of the airport, and you'll still have a fair hike to get to the check in counter, through security, and to the gate. There is no way you will make the 7:10 am flight.
If it were me, I would plan to arrive at the airport absolutely no later than one hour ahead of the scheduled departure time, and probably two hours ahead, just to be safe. Why invite that stress when you are on holiday?
The good news is that if you are leaving for the airport at 5 am, there should be very little traffic, meaning you will get there quickly and relatively cheaply. I hope that helps. Cheers.

#2 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,783
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by NamManao on 31/1/2017 at 15:05

Hey, that's "Mr. Lime Water With Sugar" to you, pal! Ha ha.

Thanks for your reply, that is exactly what I was thinking. Even though it's a routine domestic flight, that is just too close. I will have only been in the country for like three days at that point, so I think I will not try to do it like a local and will just cough up the 450 baht or whatever it is and get a taxi from door to door.

#3 NamManao has been a member since 25/12/2016. Posts: 5

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.