Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Ko Tarutao accommodation and onward travel

Posted by Bilbo1 on 2/2/2017 at 08:50

Hi fellow travellers,

I'm planning to travel from Ao Nang to Ko Tarutao on Friday February 24th for a couple of nights and was wondering if I need to book accommodation at Ao Phante Malaka beforehand or is it safe to just turn up?

Also, I want to travel onward to Ko Lipe so is it possible to buy a ticket on Tarutao or do I need to buy one before getting there?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Bilbo

#1 Bilbo1 has been a member since 26/2/2015. Posts: 15

Experience the Andaman Sea
Experience the Andaman Sea
Ad Spend 3 days / 2 nights on The Junk
From US$400.

liveaboard.com

Read more

Posted by DLuek on 2/2/2017 at 23:57 TF writer

I'm afraid I can't offer a decisive answer on accommodation -- in the past I've always just turned up and haven't had problems, and I'd still practically guarantee that that approach is fine on weekdays. But I know that more and more local Thais are hitting Tarutao on weekends and the bungalows at Ao Phante do sometimes fill up, so you may want to try and reserve in advance if possible. Otherwise you can always get a tent.

Unless things have changed, it should no problem to catch a speedboat straight to Lipe from Tarutao and you don't need to buy a ticket beforehand. Last I was there it picked up at 11:30 am, just walk over to the pier in the morning and tell park staff your plans, as they need to call the boat ahead of time.

#2 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,328
 Send DLuek a private message   Twitter   Instagram 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by Bilbo1 on 3/2/2017 at 06:34

Thanks DLuek!

Yeah, I was worrying about the Thai weekenders but I guess if Ao Phante is fully booked I could always head down to Ao Molae.

I've never been a great camper especially where wildelife is concerned.

Cheers,
Bilbo

#3 Bilbo1 has been a member since 26/2/2015. Posts: 15

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.