Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

I have no idea how to sum this up.. haha read me.

Posted by Purplehayes on 6/2/2017 at 04:02

Hi there!

I arrive in Bangkok on the 13th at 3:30pm and I will be starting my PADI course at 4:30pm the next day.
My question is: Where should I stay for the first night? The way I see it there are 3 options which I have listed below. I am curious as to whether it is worth going to Bangkok for the afternoon/evening? I will return to Bangkok so there will be other opportunities. Should I go straight to Samui and spend 1 night there? I won't be back except to alight. Or just spend the night near the airport?

I am not interested in partying or drinking. I am a female solo traveller looking for sightseeing, food and culture.

Please see my suggestion below. Please provide feedback. :)

Suvarnabhumi Airport 15:30 >
Hotel Close by airport >
Early flight to Samui >
Ferry to Ko Tao

Hotel near City >
Early flight to Samui >
Ferry to Ko Tao

Flight to Samui >
Hotel in Samui >
Early ferry to Ko Tao

Thanks in advance,

Dana.

#1 Purplehayes has been a member since 8/5/2016. Location: Australia. Posts: 11
 Send Purplehayes a private message 

Skip the queues!
Skip the queues!
Ad Book plane, train, bus & ferry tickets
with 12Go Asia.

12go.asia

Read more

Posted by amnicoll on 7/2/2017 at 08:25

If there is a flight from the same airport at say around 18.30 I would go for that - better still would have been to book through on one ticket

#2 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 944
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by DLuek on 7/2/2017 at 21:22 TF writer

If you're set on flying to Samui then I'd try to do all of the flying on the same day if possible. Otherwise I'd probably stay near the airport... If you won't be able to get out of there until after 16:00 and then will have to fly early the next morning, staying in the city might be more hassle than it's worth.

Since it sounds like you haven't yet booked a flight to Samui, you could save a good amount of cash by flying from Bangkok to Chumphon and taking a ferry from there to Tao. That's a shorter ferry ride and much cheaper flight (with Nok Air). You would have to transfer from Suvarnabhumi to Don Mueang Airport in Bangkok but there's a free shuttle bus for that. In that case there's a good chance it would make more sense to stay that first night somewhere in Bangkok city. Chumphon to Tao ferry schedule can be found here: https://www.travelfish.org/transport/thailand/southern_thailand/chumphon/chumphon/all

Alternately you could fly Nok Air or AirAsia to Surat Thani and transfer to a Tao-bound ferry there -- that too would be considerably cheaper than flying to Samui unless Bangkok Airways is running some kind of super deal.

#3 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,328
 Send DLuek a private message   Twitter   Instagram 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.