Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Avoid this bus from Bangkok to Kampaeng Phet

Posted by Sknew on 7/2/2017 at 00:13

The 12:30p bus waited for 45 min past departure so far, apparently to fill more seats?

There may be a way to embed a photo of the company, but I don't know it.

I am beginning to think that I should just have rented a car.

#1 Sknew has been a member since 16/10/2016. Posts: 19

Heading to Thailand?
Heading to Thailand?
Ad Search for cheap flights to Thailand
on Skyscanner.

skyscanner.com

Read more

Posted by amnicoll on 7/2/2017 at 08:22

frustrating yes but This is Thailand and hardly out of the normal.

#2 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 944
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by exacto on 7/2/2017 at 18:46

This reminds me of several bus trips in Laos, where the bus more or less departs the station on time, but then stops to get fuel, then at a secret second place to load cargo, and then stops at every corner and store front on the way out of town to pick up more cargo, additional passengers, adjust the cargo, more passengers, then finally begin the journey.

As amnicoll says, this is pretty par for the course in Thailand, and hardly a reason to boycott a particular bus company. If I avoided every airline that burned me with a late departure or a missed connection, I'd be out of choices to fly.

But this is a good example of why the regular contributors to Travelfish recommend not trying to include too many stops in an itinerary, exactly because the pace of travel is slow and the reliability varies greatly. But compare what that bus ride costs in Thailand to what it would cost in North America or Europe, and you realize what a great deal it is.

Kamphaeng Phet is a lovely, friendly riverside town with an excellent central market. Enjoy. Cheers.

#3 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,780
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Posted by amnicoll on 8/2/2017 at 04:19

I do not know if it still does but the bus from Kanchanaburi to Suphanburi used to leave the bus station and then proceed some 150 metres from the bus station and wait for 20 minutes. Fine if you knew about this and where to pick it up but otherwise a complete pain.

What I fail to understand why the vans and buses do this surely even the locals on the van/bus get hacked off and if none of them hung around then they would still get the same number of passengers but it would only be the joining passengers who had to hang around

#4 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 944

Posted by Sknew on 9/2/2017 at 23:05

Thanks for all your comments. Yes, this has been eye opening! I did like K Phet, though. I had some lovely food in addition to the sightseeing. Went to a "beer bureau" or something like that at the end of the night.

#5 Sknew has been a member since 16/10/2016. Posts: 19

Posted by amnicoll on 10/2/2017 at 04:18

it is not just in Thailand this happens it used to annoy the hell out of me and still does but at least I know to expect it

#6 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 944

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.