Text page

Thailand

Thailand forum

Visa Extension - How far in advance?

Posted by altmtl on 7/2/2017 at 07:32

Hello,

I am a Canadian citizen with a single entry (2 month) visa, which I would like to extend for one month. I entered Thailand Jan.10th & would like to extend it on Feb. 15th - Is this possible? In Krabi?

Thank You

#1 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,003

Posted by DLuek on 7/2/2017 at 21:12 TF writer

As far as I know, visas can be extended at any point once you're in the country. I've never extended a tourist visa but have extended non-imm visas several times and never had a problem doing it up to 60 days before the visas were due to expire. You may want to run it by the folks at Thaivisa.com for some verification.

#2 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,344

Posted by altmtl on 7/2/2017 at 23:03

On Thaivisa I got a comment saying 1 week?

#3 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,003

Posted by DLuek on 8/2/2017 at 07:47 TF writer

Really? I guess it's a question that most expats wouldn't know how to answer, as it doesn't fall into the Non-Imm visa category and few people on tourist visas need to extend them that far in advance... Captain Bob are you out there?

#4 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,344

Posted by altmtl on 8/2/2017 at 08:01

Any answer would be welcome,,,?

#5 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,003

Posted by DLuek on 9/2/2017 at 00:21 TF writer

Have asked around a bit and it seems there's no official line on how early you can apply; I've heard that most offices will let you apply within the last couple of weeks before the visa is due to expire but it's really up to whichever office you're applying it. If I were you I'd just go to Krabi immigration on the day you want to extend and give them a good reason why you need to extend then rather than later.

#6 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,344

Posted by Captain_Bob on 9/2/2017 at 01:44

Haven't had a tourist visa for the past 5 years, but back then I usually waited until about a week before expiry to extend, and in one case I went earlier they said no come back later. But I think you have it right, that it depends on who's in charge when and where you do the extension - no specific policy, give it a try and see.

#7 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,955

Posted by somtam2000 on 9/2/2017 at 03:30 admin

When I extended my 30-day visa free entry last year on Samui, was 3 weeks in and it was no big deal - they gave me another 30 days from the end of the visa (not from the day I was applying), but other people they were giving a bollocking to and calling where they stayed etc. It was a total crapshoot and very unpleasant for some people who were there.

If I was you, I'd pop into the immigration office when you are in Krabi and say "Hey this is what I want to do, should I do it now or come back close to end of visa etc". So much of this (unfortunately) is down to the official you catch + how you carry and present yourself. Shave beforehand and dress reasonably.

#8 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,058

Posted by altmtl on 9/2/2017 at 07:24

Thanks, but it's gonna cost me 700 baht just to go to Krabi - I'm in ko lanta now. I guess I'll have to wait till in samui as well? The telling me to go the day before here? Dressing shouldn't be a problem :)

#9 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,003

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.