Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Taxi from Mae Sai to Chiang Khong

Posted by DeborahInAsia on 11/2/2017 at 04:38

Hi Everyone,

I have been unable to find any information about private taxi service in Mae Sai. My boyfriend and I will be crossing the border at Tachileik around midday on Feb 14th, and need to get to Chiang Khong / Huay Xai by that evening to catch a slow boat (already booked) at 8AM on Feb 15th.
Ideally we would cross into Laos that evening but could do so early the next morning if necessary. I'd like to avoid having to take a bus to Chiang Rai first. It doesn't seem that there are Mae Sai/Chiang Khong buses so private taxi seems more likely.
Are there private taxi services in Mae Sai? Would we need to book in advance or would there be taxis hanging around the bus station? Any info appreciated. Thanks.

#1 DeborahInAsia has been a member since 11/2/2017. Posts: 1

Experience the Andaman Sea
Experience the Andaman Sea
Ad Spend 3 days / 2 nights on The Junk
From US$400.

liveaboard.com

Read more

Posted by amnicoll on 12/2/2017 at 06:41

Chiang Rai is miles out of your way as you know. I do not know for certain but I would imagine that you should be able to find transport at the border or the bus station.

If you are stuck it is worth remembering in these situations the Thai police can be very helpful if you were to ask them where you could find a taxi

#2 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 960
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by plengpin on 8/3/2017 at 10:59

Hi DeborahInAsia, My family have travel at chiang rai one month ago. we book transfer from website: http://www.chiangmaitransfers.com and use service 5 days. everythink is ok. the driver is friendly. try to contack them.

cee3c0ba70a57e284e8366aa90e436f4.jpg63467f519c39cc8c1afb8ebbeb2dabaa.jpg

#3 plengpin has been a member since 8/3/2017. Posts: 1

Posted by telmi on 8/3/2017 at 17:06

I doubt you will find a taxi in Mae Sai willing to do the trip to Chiang Khong . Suggest you just take local buses that depart every 20 minutes or so instead. The first part is to take the red songtaew bus that departs from 100 meters outside of the border crossing in Mae Sai to the Mae Sai bus station about 5 km away and then change to a minibus or big bus to Chiang Rai . They have old crawler buses, big fast buses and minivans that do this route so just wait and take the first one departing for the 2 hour trip to Chiang Rai central bus station. Then take a minivan, big bus or slow crawler bus to Chiang Khong - once again no need for reservation - just ask around and take first transport out. The big red slow buses depart every 30 minutes so you won't wait long - see schedule here - http://hobomaps.com/TravelChiangRai.html . The Mekong bridge is open late so you s/b able to cross to Huay Xay the same day or night - see border area options here - http://hobomaps.com/TravelCKHX.html .

#4 telmi has been a member since 1/1/2013. Posts: 35

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.