Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Chiang Rai to Tha Ton

Posted by lucasan on 18/3/2017 at 01:55

At the end of february there was no public boat service because of low water levels.
You can still hire a boat for some 2500 Baht, max 4 passengers, some 6 hrs trip.

If travelling alone you probably want to go by bus.
I checked both bus stations in Chiang Rai and now there are only two minibus a day, leaving the old central bus station at 8 AM and 2 PM, and stopping 30 minutes later in the new bus station before leaving Chiang Rai
The minivan takes you to Fang in about 3 hours, very nice road albeit a bit windy...
The minivan stops in Fang at the Fang Kallaya Market (it's on Google Maps). There was a friendly thai guy in the minivan also going to Tha Ton and we crossed the road and waited for the yellow songthaews at the Thanachart Bank, no bus stop sign there, maybe some locals waiting as well.
Don' t wait in the market/bus stop because songthaews don't go in.

If you take the 2 PM minivan like I did, you'll get stuck on the road nr 107 until 7.15 PM, there are simply very few songthaews in the afternoon!
I managed to get a moto taxi for 200 Baht + tip. The trip took half an hour and was pretty much fun with a big backpack, the second smaller on my shoulders and some extra bags the driver was carrying home... he was living somewhere between Fang and Tha Ton.
Well, fun is something personal, isn' t it?
Definitely leave Chiang Rai early!

The alternative trip Chiang Rai - road nr. 1 - change to road nr 1089 involves changing 3 times and locals in Tha Ton don't advise that, it's only ok if you need to go to Mae Salong .
By the way, Mae Salong is a nice day trip from Tha Ton.
In Tha Ton, Chankasen Restaurant on the river rents good bikes for some 350 Baht a day, need to bargain a bit, though

#1 lucasan has been a member since 14/11/2016. Posts: 10

Heading to Thailand?
Heading to Thailand?
Ad Search for cheap flights to Thailand
on Skyscanner.

skyscanner.com

Read more

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.