Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Khao Lak update 2017

Posted by lucasan on 18/3/2017 at 03:34

While waiting for an update on Travelfish, I post some news from Khao Lak, where I am staying since 10 days.
I happen to have a thai friend here, a fashion photographer that moved from Bangkok with his family. Since a girlfriend of mine is visiting in about a week, I searched for accommodation for both of us.
Price have gone up considerably, for example The Sandy House charges now, end of march, no peak season, 1200 Baht. No discount walk-in price and no long stay discount either. They have a minimarket downstairs and are welcoming guests to sit on the chairs downstairs and buy themselves a drink. Unfortunately their minimarket sells a small singha beer can for 55 baht instead of 37 in any other shop in town. You get what I mean, don' t you?
A good alternative seems the Thai Life Guesthouse in the center, rooms from 600 to 1000 Baht, they are clean and spacious. Unfortunately often fully booked.
Resorts on the beach have horrendous prices even for european standards, many places charging 150 to 250 euros a day. I found the Fanari Khaolak Resort to be fairly priced at some 60 euros a day including breakfast.
The general feeling now in Bang Niang beach is upmarket guests, mostly german couples and no backpackers at all. Most restaurants will charge some 150 baht for a simple fried rice and a singha beer large is easily 130 baht.
I haven't been into many restaurants though, just because eating at this friend's of mine, his wife cooks delicious food. But a standard meal with grilled fish is often more than 700 baht, in my opinion something expensive in Thailand in a simple restaurant.
A good place I feel like mentioning is the Gecko Bar near the Bang Niang Market, opens at some point in the afternoon and is definitely packed at 11 PM. Good music, snooker is free, reasonable prices.
Another one mainly with thai guests is the Thai Bar On The Beach, you need to wade in the water and cross the lagoon just north of the main beach in Bang Niang. Good vibes, some reggae music, great sunsets. You can get there from a back street from the main road, but you need a moped, too long to walk. Water is not that high in the lagoon and it's not a problem. If confused to get there, check Google Maps, it' s listed.
The probably best cafe in Bang Niang is the Take a Seat Khaolak cafe, it's on Google maps and easy to find as it's the first place on the road that goes north along the coast from the center. Coffee is delicious and cakes are fantastic! The lady comes from Bangkok, bakes and cooks herself and is really very friendly. She does sandwiches and pasta as well, but I haven't had dinner there, yet.
As for beaches in the area, if you don' t like the usual one week tourist flow from the luxury resorts, you need to rent a moped, some 200 baht a day for long time rental and you can get to the Ban Thap Tawan beach, some 15 km north of Bang Niang.
There are a few simple bars on the beach offering food and massages. Happy Beach Bar&Restaurant has good food and you can lay on the sunbeds for free, provided you drink/eat something by the friendly lady. Amazing eyes has she!
The beach is white and beautiful. Unfortunately they are building a big resort some 200 m away, so things might change.
Another great spot north of Bang Niang is an unnamed beach some 25 km away.
Look for Yaowalak Restaurant near Takua Pa on Google Maps and at the end of this road you'll meet a beautiful and deserted long white beach. Once you' ve parked your moped at the end of the road there' s a big tree with a concrete table and some seats. If already taken, walk south and there are other trees sheltering you from the scorching sun. Bring food and water as there's nothing in the area and the Yaowalak restaurant was closed when we passed by.
Going south of Bang Niang I feel like mentioning the Khao Lampi Hat Thai Mueang National Park. It's some 35 km from Bang Niang, you need to get to Thai Muang and turn right/north in town. Park entrance is 100 baht per person regardless if you have a car/moped or not.
There you will find 13 km of unspoiled and deserted beach, Thailand like it used to be 25 years ago and only some 30 km away from Phuket!
The park has an info center, almost no english spoken but very friendly lady. The restaurant had only water and fried rice with shrimps, fairly priced but taking some food and drink from 7/11 in Thai Mueang is a good idea.
There are some 10 bungalows in the park, all with air con, it seems a very comfortable accommodation indeed. Many tents available for 200 Baht and there's a cooking area + restrooms and showers.
Reservation only through the National park administration, you need to call this local number: 076 410 361 and hope for someone speaking english...
The Thailand National Park Web Site won't take you anywhere for what it concerns online reservations as most pages are in thai only. Or you can speak thai, of course.
We spent a day there and saw only 2 tourists on the beach, best place up to now in Thailand. Well, depends what you want from your holiday...

#1 lucasan has been a member since 14/11/2016. Posts: 10

Heading to Thailand?
Heading to Thailand?
Ad Search for cheap flights to Thailand
on Skyscanner.

skyscanner.com

Read more

Posted by DLuek on 19/3/2017 at 07:21 TF writer

Thank you for this - it's appreciated.

#2 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,340
 Send DLuek a private message   Twitter   Instagram 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.