Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

metro/bus from new airport to old airport/rangsit

Posted by zachmoore on 26/12/2007 at 10:24

We are flying in late evening; 10ish on korean air (I don't remember exact time as I am writing this) and would like to catch the 11 o'clock train for chiang mai, train 51; is there any chance of making that work; any suggestions on how to make this work or even if it's possible. Thanks

Zach.

#1 zachmoore has been a member since 15/12/2007. Posts: 5

Posted by Guernseystu on 26/12/2007 at 13:58

Not possible I'm afraid. I have a feeling that you'll still be in the immigration queue at 11:00 and allowing for up to an hour on the bus (or taxi) to Hualumphong you'll get there a about midnight. I suggest that you get a good nights sleep and either take a day train up to Chiang Mai or have a look around Bkk first and then take a night train.

#2 Guernseystu has been a member since 10/7/2007. Posts: 108

Posted by somtam2000 on 26/12/2007 at 18:35 admin

Hi Zach, sorry to say, but I concur with #2 - the only way you could make that work would be to parachute out of the plane to land at Hualamphong, but that's not going to work 'cause the flightpath doesn't run over the station unfortunately ;-)

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,576
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by goo_stewart on 28/12/2007 at 11:58

Yeah, echo above comments, sounds impossible I'm afraid. The new airport is fairly efficient, but not that efficient.

#4 goo_stewart has been a member since 10/10/2007. Posts: 69
 Website 

Posted by sirhalberd on 30/12/2007 at 05:51

I hope you are planning on seeing Bangkok, it is worth a look or two. Chose a hotel near the Skytrain so you can use that transportation to get around the city quick and easy.

If you have reservations in Chiang Mai see if you can move them up a day or two and check out the big city!

Now is a good time to check your itinerary and see if your return trip to Bangkok has the same bad timing! Figure on being at the airport at least a bare minimum of 2 hours prior to your departure home. I prefer a little more time myself!

Good luck.

#5 sirhalberd has been a member since 30/12/2007. Posts: 295

Posted by zachmoore on 4/1/2008 at 09:00

Hey, thanks for the replies - that's kind of what I figured but thought I'd give it a shot. We plan on doing bangkok at the end of our trip. We want to get going north as fast as we can as we've only got 4 weeks to do the region - are there cheap guesthouses near Hualamphong or is it possible to spend the night in the trainstation or airport so we can catch that early morning train north - we really don't want to deal with going into the city if we can help it. Thanks again for the replies.

Zach.

#6 zachmoore has been a member since 15/12/2007. Posts: 5

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.