Text page

Thailand

Thailand forum

Advice on planning a Thai trip in August.

Posted by elysium on 27/3/2017 at 00:14

Hey guys,

We are going to Thailand in August. Everyone keeps telling us that it's the worst time due to the rainy season. This is why I am planning like crazy and I need some help.

So far, this is what's sure: we are flying to Bangkok and planning to stay for 3 days or so. Then probably we will fly to Phuket and stay there for 1 or 2 days and then head to Krabi to check out some of the beaches and islands (I'd really appreciate someone's opinion on which islands to visit and how good they are during the rainy season). Then we would probably go to the east side of Ko Tao and Ko Pha Ngan for the rest of the holidays (7-8 days). Here I have read that the east side is not affected by the rain. After that we will head back to Phuket to catch a plane. I guess it would be more fun to do all this in a different order: like 1, Bangkok 2, Ko Tao+Ko Pha Ngan 3, Krabi and 4, Phuket...so that we could just catch the plane from there. I dont really know if there is an easy way to get from Bangkok to those islands though and then to Krabi.

I was wondering what else we should do on the way to these places like "Ayutthaya" would be a lot of fun to check, but I am wondering if it's okay in the rainy season.

In a few words:
1, How can we get from Bagkok to those islands (Ko Tao and Ko Pha Ngan) and from there to Krabi?
2, Is Ayutthaya an option in the rainy season?
3, Is Krabi slightly protected in the rainy season? It looks like the tiny peninsula of Phuket might hold the rain back, but I might be wrong.

I'd really appreciate a few good tips and ideas. Cheers.

#1 elysium has been a member since 6/3/2017. Posts: 5

Posted by DLuek on 29/3/2017 at 02:24 TF writer

If I were you I'd skip Phuket and Krabi and spend all of your island time on the Gulf side (Samui, Tao, Pha Ngan), which has much, MUCH better weather in August. That's one of the wettest months on the Andaman side and there have been a lot of tourist boat accidents in the Krabi area due to rough seas at that time of year. But it's not a bad time for the Gulf side, where there's quite a lot to explore (for example the Ang Thong Islands in addition to the big three).

Getting from Bangkok to those Gulf islands is pretty easy... Have you looked at the relevant transport sections? (For ex. here's Ko Pha Ngan: https://www.travelfish.org/transport/thailand/southern_thailand/surat_thani/ko_pha_ngan/all ). If you do go to Phuket from there it's a straightforward matter of catching a ferry / bus (all one ticket) to Talad Kaset Station in Surat Thani and then a bus or van to Phuket.

If wanting to go by plane you can fly to Samui with Bangkok Air for quite a lot of cash and take a ferry from there to Pha Ngan or Tao, or you can fly to Surat Thani with one of the budget airlines (AirAsia, Nok Air, Thai Lion Air, Thai Smile) and buy a ferry ticket from there to any of those islands. Boat departure times are available in the Surat Thani transport section. Otherwise you could take a train or bus from Bangkok to Surat Thani, or take a bus straight from Bangkok to Pha Ngan or Samui.

If wanting to start with Ko Tao you should go to Chumphon first and book a transfer there; or I believe Nok Air offers an all-in "fly and ferry" option to Ko Tao via Chumphon, which can also be reached by train or bus from Bangkok.

Parts of Ayutthaya province often flood during the rainy months but unless it's an unusually wet year it should be no problem hitting the provincial capital and historical park in August. Just bring an umbrella.

#2 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,346

Posted by elysium on 2/4/2017 at 20:46

Thanks a lot. The rainy season is beginning to scare me. Boat accidents? Oh my....I must read on that then. So far we have come up with this idea:

Day 1Bangkok Day 1
Day 2Bangkok Day 2
Day 3Ayutthaya day 3 - night train to Chiang Mai, problem: what to do with the luggage?
Day 4 Chiang Mai
Day 5Chiang Mai- flight to Krabi
Day 6Krabi - 4 islands
Day 7Krabi - 4 islands

Day 8Phi Phi, spend the night there - what to do with our bags? Just check in early and leave it at the hostel/hotel?

Day 9Koh Phangan, spend the night there - what to do with our bags? Just check in early and leave it at the hostel/hotel?

Day 10Ko Tao, spend the night there - what to do with our bags? Just check in early and leave it at the hostel/hotel?

Day 11Ko Samui, spend the night there - what to do with our bags? Just check in early and leave it at the hostel/hotel?
Day 12Still planning this
Day 13PHUKET
Day 14PHUKET
Day 15Return

I really dont know what to do with out luggage. I am flying back to my place in China after Thailand and I must have my big suitcase with me. It's pretty tricky. I wish I could just take a backpack.

#3 elysium has been a member since 6/3/2017. Posts: 5

Posted by fondo on 3/4/2017 at 08:04

OK, sounds like the major problem is what to do with the big bag.
You could solve that by taking the advice that has been offered and forget about the west coast. Fly in and out of Bangkok, leave the big bag in Bangkok.

#4 fondo has been a member since 23/6/2006. Posts: 185

Posted by exacto on 3/4/2017 at 15:00

There was a recent thread about short-term self storage in Bangkok, and after a quick web search, I located a few places, including one on Rama IV Road, that will store your luggage for you for a nominal fee. Seems like either that, or just leaving the bag at a hotel in Bangkok might work, as suggested above. Ta.

#5 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,831

Posted by flijten on 3/4/2017 at 16:04

As much as I appreciate your schedule it is undoable. A night on eacht of the 3 islands at the eastern side will leave you with just a afternoon and night each. Just pick one. Also I really wouldn't go to the andaman side. Phi phi, phuket and krabi have much worse weather than the gulf side. The good part is that this gives you the option of a couple of nights at more than one island in the gulf. Furthermore, if you do need to go to the andaman side do krabi, phuket and phi phi together instead of driving back and forth between andaman and gulf coast. But just skip the andaman side :)

Leaving your bags at a guesthouse shouldn't be a problem, the only issue ks ayuthaya, but you could always rent the cheapest room ever somewhere and use it for storage and a pre-train shower.

Basically I would really urge you not to put so much in to so little time. Travelling around takes time and with this schedule you're going to see more transport than sights

#6 flijten has been a member since 19/12/2016. Location: Netherlands. Posts: 80

Posted by DLuek on 3/4/2017 at 23:15 TF writer

Totally agree with flijten -- you're trying to cram in WAY too much for that amount of time. Cut the number of destinations in half, if not more than that, and start over.

#7 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,346

Posted by akshayk on 4/4/2017 at 00:50

Well, Difficult to answer to be very honest. I have been there for 2 years. The rainy season is unpredictable and and varies from region to region. However, I would suggest you the gulf of Thailand, where the weather should be nice. Sometimes transportation becomes huge problem in rains as you might see floods on the roads, So, If possible I would suggest you to postpone your plan to October the best time to visit.

#8 akshayk has been a member since 28/11/2016. Posts: 1

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.